Idaho unit 39

6speed

I've never hunted turkeys before, I never realized there was an open unit that close, but the other day I had a guy tell me he hunts 39 along the SFB below Anderson. I've driven the road and fished the river several times and never seen a turkey but I wasn't really looking. I don't need a map to a honey hole but if you have hunted there and been successful a yes or no would be nice.

Never hunted turkeys there, but I've seen them when fishing the South Fork. I've fished there a lot and only seen a few.

Yes. Arrowed my first tom below the dam in one of those pockets of timber visible from the road. They are in there.

There are more birds up toward Idaho City, but more hunters as well.

Smith's Prairie and Danskin Mtn were some of the earliest release sites in SW Idaho.
NWTF & F&G have been trying to replentish the population for the last several years. The birds drift down to the South Fork and back to the country above on both sides of the river. I hunted them over there in the 80's but not since. As with anything, scout, scout, scout. Just because you see them mid summer or fall does not mean they'll be there in th spring!
WD

A close place to boise area also is up around third fork, above Sweet and Ola. I see then down low in the fall and winter. during the melt off they move up to higher ground. I have only hunted there once. I usually go up above grangeville for turkey. It gives me a chance to do my scouting for deer in the fall. hope you get something.

I've hunted birds north of McCall and above the Clearwater. More than enough birds to keep in interesting. Heck, there's even enough dumb ones that I've tricked a few everytime I've went. It's a bit of a drive, but worth it IMO.

Here's mine from a few years back taken off of state lands near Orofino:
IdahoTurkeyHunt004.jpg

On a good day I'm an hour and 45 minutes to Boise. It sounds like pretty good hunting up north I have a few friends up there but there is no way I could go that far for a turkey. Fuel cost + extra day at preschool = Negative. That's why I got interested in 39 I can be at the dam in 45 minutes.

That was a weekend hunt, left on Friday back to work on Monday, and I came from Salt Lake City and met BOY in the Twin Falls area. I have seen lots of turkeys along the Payette on my way back. YMMV...

By the way...my one successful experience was more of a stunt. I had my 3 year old with me and needed to get out of the house so I threw the bow in and we went driving.... He wanted to throw rocks in the river and when I closed the car door, I heard a gobble up the hill.....I put the toddler on my shoulders and got in front of a flock of feeding birds and held tight as they fed towards us.

20 minutes later I got a 25 yard shot at the big tom, misjudged the distance and the broadhead smacked him in the head.

Unbelievably lucky day.

fathersonbird0001.jpg

Last edited:
There are supposed to be quite a few up near Arrowrock and Cottonwood Creek. I've only see a dead one, coyotes i'm guessing, but I hear of a few taken up there every year. Idaho City is a popular place to go as well and anywhere in between those to spots. Get out on the points early in the morning at first light and make a few calls. Stay hidden though. Those bastards have better eyes than eagles! Good luck!

Back