Idaho Unit 39 Late Archery: Anybody Tag Out Yet?

LandDiver

Just wondering how everyone is doing. I've been able to go out once since the season opened. Saw a single deer. Weather was really warm though, around 60's. This week is much colder, almost 20 degrees cooler. Maybe that'll start the luck for everyone. Spoke to a few hunters and they saw cow elk but they didn't have tags. I think everyone is waiting for the Muley's ha ha!

I tagged out in 39 during rifle season(s).

Are you searching for a big Muley? Bull? Both?

I'd love to assist anyone who is still after a late Nov. Unit 39 Idaho Archery Bull. Come with pack in hand, and young legs ..
*grin*

- Joseph

I have both tags for the unit. This is my first time hunting. I can only go when the wife doesn't work, and she has the next 5 days off! I'll be in the mountains all 5 of them lol. Just found out the other day that baby #5 is coming. So I gotta get my play time now lol. Baby is due in September to lol!

I would love to get a bull, but meat in the freezer is my main goal. If I can get both deer and elk tag filled my wife will stop harassing me about all the used clothes I bought to go hunting lol.

So close... Ran out this morning after seeing the forecast got on a really nice buck at first light knew he was just a solid 4 point I thought ended up getting in front of him, his does brought him right by me 52 yards and I shot right over him. So. Close. Stay after it also saw a decent herd of elk on my way out bucks are rutting

I'll be trying my luck tomorrow. Heading out early in hopes of harvesting a elk. Haven't seen any yet, but I'm not gonna give up.

Update in the deer world of this hunt, the wind kicked my *** today to say the least still found some deer but not any numbers, the big bucks are yet to show besides the one I missed he's no where to be found now go figure

LandDiver--good luck and congrats with baby #5, although if baby #5 is coming in September you are either predicting the future, which will get you all sorts of attention, or you are going to be very famous for a pregnancy that lasted almost 11 months!!!

We came up over the ridge chasing Muley's, but have been seeing his tracks for the past hour as we followed trails. When we came over the ridge we were in a open area with a few dead safe brush around. Looking for the buck we were after my buddy spotted this guy. Rear against some thick vegetation and pine, and head scanning the little open area in front of him. We were pinned down on the hill side. My buddy has some brush to cover while I was laying flat on the dead grass lol. Spotted at 11:18am, 320 yards away. We watched him for nearly 4 hours thinking he was going to sleep. His head swayed back and forth like he was about to pass out, but never did. Stood up for an hour, got us all excited because it looked like he was going to turn around and lay back down, but didn't. He went back down in his original resting position. With legal shooting time ticking away I but didn't realize how thick it was down there till I was in it. Took me just over an hour to get to the little draw behind him. RF'd a couple points from across the way so I knew about where I would be at with him. Got to about 30 yards right behind him but couldn't see anything due to the pine.

That's when I was told, "They say an elk will see you 3 times, hear your twice, and smell you once...". LOL! From the distance I was away from him I could literally feel the ground below me vibrate at he crashed through the pine. Watching those trees bend as he made his way out was amazing! I loved every second of it!

Don't have but 3 or 4 days that the wife is off from work left in the season, and I'm still sitting on 2 tags. The experience of being able to see my first bull elk in person, and actually try to put an arrow through him was worth the tag cost itself to me. I will be back next chance I can! Even though my buddy was all about me getting that bull, we were laughing on the way home because he said I would have been so spoiled lol!

The weather went from below freezing a few days ago to nearly 60 yesterday! That probably didn't help the muley situation, but all was forgotten as I took in every second of watching this bull.

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Update in the deer world of this hunt, the wind kicked my *** today to say the least still found some deer but not any numbers, the big bucks are yet to show besides the one I missed he's no where to be found now go figure

We saw a lot of does, and a few bucks. Nothing big though. My intentions were to shoot the first deer I could get close enough to. Which ended up being a smaller buck. All morning we watched these deer state down into this draw, but we were on the opposite side of it. It was only later that we realized what they were all excited/nervous about.

Each of these experiences will only give you that much more knowledge, and a step closer to succeeding! Good work on finding that bull. When they are bedded like that, don't expect them to just fall asleep the way we do! If he's to bed, it's time to put the sneak on. Great try.. Hope you get another opportunity.

- Joseph

We came up over the ridge chasing Muley's, but have been seeing his tracks for the past hour as we followed trails. When we came over the ridge we were in a open area with a few dead safe brush around. Looking for the buck we were after my buddy spotted this guy. Rear against some thick vegetation and pine, and head scanning the little open area in front of him. We were pinned down on the hill side. My buddy has some brush to cover while I was laying flat on the dead grass lol. Spotted at 11:18am, 320 yards away. We watched him for nearly 4 hours thinking he was going to sleep. His head swayed back and forth like he was about to pass out, but never did. Stood up for an hour, got us all excited because it looked like he was going to turn around and lay back down, but didn't. He went back down in his original resting position. With legal shooting time ticking away I but didn't realize how thick it was down there till I was in it. Took me just over an hour to get to the little draw behind him. RF'd a couple points from across the way so I knew about where I would be at with him. Got to about 30 yards right behind him but couldn't see anything due to the pine.

That's when I was told, "They say an elk will see you 3 times, hear your twice, and smell you once...". LOL! From the distance I was away from him I could literally feel the ground below me vibrate at he crashed through the pine. Watching those trees bend as he made his way out was amazing! I loved every second of it!

Don't have but 3 or 4 days that the wife is off from work left in the season, and I'm still sitting on 2 tags. The experience of being able to see my first bull elk in person, and actually try to put an arrow through him was worth the tag cost itself to me. I will be back next chance I can! Even though my buddy was all about me getting that bull, we were laughing on the way home because he said I would have been so spoiled lol!

The weather went from below freezing a few days ago to nearly 60 yesterday! That probably didn't help the muley situation, but all was forgotten as I took in every second of watching this bull.
Nice bull! Was this on the latest season?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back