Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho Unit 37 October Rifle tag

CERCANBRACK

Looking for some advice from anyone that has rifle hunted unit 37. I spent last weekend up there driving around in a truck and utv, found a couple cow elk and marked it on my onX map. On the way out of town I stopped at a bait shop and chatted with the guy running it and he said there are two separate herds on that mountain, generational field elk and mountain elk. Sounds like I may have not been high enough and was seeing the field elk. I have dropped some pins on my onX that I plan on checking out later in August on another scout trip but was hopping someone would chime in and let me know if I am on the right track. I could trade some advice on Utah or possibly my grandmas oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks in advance,
Cole

I put some forestry plots in unit 37 back in '97 - Drew the late tag in unit 51 on the 2nd draw in '17.

Those elk move up and down sometimes daily. Only takes them an hour to go from 5,000 to 9,000 feet. I've watched them. Right now the feed is best above 8000' or in an irrigated field.

On Oct 1st - I'd be hunting high listening for bulging bulls, get there several days before the season. 100 tags - should be able to get away from other hunters. Some of the ranches get land owner tags so there are 10 tags down low too. Don't wait to fill your tag - By Oct 10 the big bulls quiet down and head into the rugged canyons where they have the advantage. Very good tag this season - elk #s are high.

Don't pay much attention to the giant herd that will be on the ranch along the river. The private with the air strip.
A buddies dad had the tag 3 years ago, those elk never left that ranch.

Knock a lot of doors or go high, as Fowl Hunter mentioned. 10/1 is prime time for bugles.

Don't pay much attention to the giant herd that will be on the ranch along the river. The private with the air strip.
A buddies dad had the tag 3 years ago, those elk never left that ranch.

Knock a lot of doors or go high, as Fowl Hunter mentioned. 10/1 is prime time for bugles.
The cows we found weren't down in the valley in fields, they were up in the pines but more like 8,000 ft not 10,000 ft. They guy I was talking to said they will more than likely turn into field elk after opening day. I plan on at least one more scout trip up there before Oct 1 but still plan on heading in there a few days early to locate with some bugles.

Mid Sept would be a good time to scout, will be easy to find where they're hanging out.

You'll be able to see where some of the archery pressure is as well.

Mid Sept would be a good time to scout, will be easy to find where they're hanging out.

You'll be able to see where some of the archery pressure is as well.
I will be back up the end of September, I’m just hoping they are in same spot they are September 21 as they are Oct 1. I guess they are where they are and will just have to find them. ;)

Looking for some advice from anyone that has rifle hunted unit 37. I spent last weekend up there driving around in a truck and utv, found a couple cow elk and marked it on my onX map. On the way out of town I stopped at a bait shop and chatted with the guy running it and he said there are two separate herds on that mountain, generational field elk and mountain elk. Sounds like I may have not been high enough and was seeing the field elk. I have dropped some pins on my onX that I plan on checking out later in August on another scout trip but was hopping someone would chime in and let me know if I am on the right track. I could trade some advice on Utah or possibly my grandmas oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks in advance,
Cole
Hey boss had a few questions for you. First how did your hunt go and did you tag out? I drew the tag this year and was wondering if you have any advice for me. This is the first time I've hunted this unit and could use all the help I can get thank you for taking the time here is my PH 360-921-2290 text or call

Sincerely Kyle

Hey boss had a few questions for you. First how did your hunt go and did you tag out? I drew the tag this year and was wondering if you have any advice for me. This is the first time I've hunted this unit and could use all the help I can get thank you for taking the time here is my PH 360-921-2290 text or call

Sincerely Kyle
How many bathroom walls do you suppose your number will end up on? Why would you post it for all of world to see?

How many bathroom walls do you suppose your number will end up on? Why would you post it for all of world to see?
Well Addicting I'm an adult and I'm looking for good info on my hunt before I scout but thank you for caring I'll sleep better at night knowing you care.......

I helped a friend scout it once over a decade ago. We just picked a road drove to the top of the mountain, saw elk, and camped by a lake. Neat country, really steep! Most exciting part of it was when he twisted an ankle and I thought I might have to put him down on the top of the mountain

Well just got back from scouting and it is Big Big country, not sure how much hunting pressure will be there but the country looks good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back