Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Unit 28

jwh525

Help!!!!
Myself and two buddies will be rifle hunting this fall in Unit 28. We've never been to this area. Our original area to hunt was the Garden Valley area but were deigned permission. We choose 28 because of family of one of us hunting who lives close to the unit. It's July and we've not heard anything from the scouting trips we were promised. We all live out of state so it's not we can just go there for a weekend ourselves. I'm a little worried about hunting a new area without a guide or a partner who's hunted the area before. We will make the best of the situation and have a blast regardless of harvesting or not. I'm hoping that someone has hunted or hunts that unit can shed some light on it for us. We have access to quads to use if it's allowed.
Don't worry I've already nominated myself for idiot of the year for piss poor planning.
Thanks in advance

John

I'm hunting 36b and possibly 28 this fall as well. I too live out of state and have been doing my scouting via the hunt planner , Google earth , phone calls and this forum. What dates are you going

Nope. He went with his brother from Howe and some of his co-workers from what used to be called *The AEC Site*, now called the INL. If memory serves me right they were at the head waters of Panther Creek, but don't get me wrong. Was during the time brother and I were in college and then the military. Was all DYI.
Prior to that after our return from ranching in MT they hunted the ID/MT border on what was referred to as *The Firing Line* back then. Was when the season overlapped and MT hunters ran the elk into ID and back and forth. Tons of stories from there back in the day (mid 50's era)....

Did he hunt near or with Lowell Miller and his family from Salmon?

I guess that I should have been more specific. We are hunting for elk. Our time frame is roughly 14 Oct - 21 Oct. Unfortunately we do not have access to horses or mules, we have quads if needed and allowed. They'd be used for packing in and out, otherwise it'll all be done on foot.

Google earth, find the closest aerial to your hunt dates, fine green = find elk. If I'm not mistaken there's a aerial from about that time, and it has some snow, I've found tracks in that aerial, it obviously won't be this year, but should give you some good places to look.

I'm headed to the same area this year as well. Having never stepped foot in the area, I used Idaho hunt planner map and looked for the biggest roadless areas I could find. From there I looked for the elevation I wanted, and then narrowed it down to areas where multiple ridges come together giving elk plenty of avenues for escape. I seem to just find more elk in places where they have multiple escape routes. We will see how it works when the season gets here

Back