Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho Unit 27-2 Bighorn Sheep

Couldn't draw in Washington with 12 points But drew in Idaho on my first try. Who'd a guessed it. Please don't hate me. I have seen several postings for hunts in the "Crags" but I haven't seen any that specified unit 27-2. I would love to receive any info or comments from anyone that knows about this unit especially if someone has hunted it before. Or maybe knows someone that has hunted it. Or knows someone that drew this year also. It looks like access can be from a trail at the top coming from the crags camp ground or by floating the middle fork of the salmon river to its mouth. My first choice is from the trail as I have no raft. I feel like the Sheep should be up high early in the season but not sure.

Thanks
Gene

Gene,

Congrats on the tag. If you have researched the "Crags" hunts that myself and 3-4 others on this website have done, it is 27-2.

If for some freak chance I win the lottery tag...I'll be in there as well.

T Bone,

I kind of thought your hunts sounded like 27-2 but wasn't positive. I'm going to scout it after the 4 th. week end. I'm going in from the Crags camp ground on what looks like a trail to scout and figure out where to base camp. Any suggestions?

Gene

If you have read T-Bones stories (especially the first sheep hunt) and are still enthused then you should enjoy your hunt. And you might be a maniac. :) After reading them myself and seeing the country I know 27-2 won't ever be on my application. I'm too old and just not that tough. I have no problem admitting that.

I don't know what kind of shape you are in but I suspect that will be the most critical factor.

Good luck and please post your story and pictures as the summer progresses.

Gene,

Research all the Idaho threads under the sheep topics. There are at least 5 that show details and dead rams on that hunt. There are two or three videos on youtube that show details as well.It's a humbling unit, but there are some big old rams in there.

Do not expect any help from the outfitter. He is not a fan of DIY'ers in there.

Get the best equipment and glass you can afford, get in extremely good shape.
There have been two others contact me this year for that hunt. I wish you all good hunts and success. I envy you. It is an amazing place.

If I draw the lottery tag :), I'll focus on Ship Island, Parrot, Tumble, and Roaring Creek drainages. Both rams I personally was present for were in Roaring.

NVBighorn,

I never In my wildest dreams expected an easy hunt for sheep. I think that's why I drew this unit on my first try. It looks ugly which I take as a good thing.
Also I'm no spring chicken but am in good shape for my age (61) and continue to climb the hills around my home.
Thanks for your input.

T Bone

I did look at all the threads from the last few years, looks like I'm in for quite an adventure.
I also watched the UTUBE videos.
The locations you want to focus on are great in the there closer to were I'll leave my truck. I hope I can find a Ram in one of those.
The game department records though show the most success in the goat creek drainage with the next being Ship Island.
I tried to get names of the other successful applicants from the game department to see about combining our efforts but because of privacy concerns they won't give them out.
Are you able to make contact with them and possibly have them contact me?

Gene

Gene,

Look up the threads via the search function and send the other 27-2 sheep hunters a private message on here. Ask them for their cell phone. I'd bet that most if not all are willing to share very particular info to help another DIYer out.

Take time to introduce yourself.

Happy 4th!

IPC1 good luck and congrats on the adventure of a lifetime. T bone is the man when it comes to the Crags...I wish you great memories ahead. Just remember have your mental game dialed in and things will happen!

Gene,

Research all the Idaho threads under the sheep topics. There are at least 5 that show details and dead rams on that hunt. There are two or three videos on youtube that show details as well.It's a humbling unit, but there are some big old rams in there.

Do not expect any help from the outfitter. He is not a fan of DIY'ers in there.

Get the best equipment and glass you can afford, get in extremely good shape.
There have been two others contact me this year for that hunt. I wish you all good hunts and success. I envy you. It is an amazing place.

If I draw the lottery tag :), I'll focus on Ship Island, Parrot, Tumble, and Roaring Creek drainages. Both rams I personally was present for were in Roaring.
That is no kidding about the outfitter. He jumped our chit a bit as he thought we were following him in, but we were headed to that place anyway.

To the OP, don't rule out using a boat. We finally did and found the rams about 1/2 way from the top to the river. Good luck in some B I G country. IMO it's more a mental struggle than physical and the physical is a butt kicker...

A couple more thoughts....take them for what they are worth. I'm excited just remembering the hunts there!

If you park at the Crags campground, leave an extra sleeping bag, food, water,first aid kit, and rifle with ammo in the truck. A multi day pack out is highly likely if coming out heavy.

Take a shovel and chains in there. I was puckered tight and pushing snow in a couple places trying to get out of there in October.

There were lots of grouse in there if you crave fresh protein.
Don't even think of carrying a deer, elk, or wolf tag...

I'd plan on one 10 day hunt at the beginning of the season...and if unsuccessful, a second toward the end of the season. Your body and mind will need a couple weeks to forget the pain :).

Change socks at 10 am and 3 pm everyday, whether you think you need it or not.

Be mindful of ticks.

Don't be thinking you're spiderman, shortcuts through the cliffs are never shorter.

Have at least 200 ounces of water capacity. You can always see it or hear it, but sometimes it takes a half day to get there.

Move fast getting in those drainages mentioned, then slow waaaaay down and glass, glass, and glass.

You'll know if there are rams around by the tracks and listen for them cracking heads, especially in the mornings.

Don't try to flush, push, or drive rams through a designated route. They don't follow directions. They simply disappear.

Do take a rangefinder.

Do take a spotter and tripod.

Buck Fever,

Mental Game Dialed. Check

1 pointer,

Not worried about the outfitter but if we cross paths we'll deal with it.

Ultrahunter,

Yes I did see your story And I'm hoping I don't need to float the river cause I'll have to use an inner tube (no have raft). Congrats on the sheep.

TBone,

You are in fact a wealth of information. I have in fact considered some of your suggestions but every one makes perfect sense and I will try to be a good receiver of the info.

Thanks to all. STILL LOOKING TO COMMUNICATE WITH OTHERS WHO HAVE DRAWN THIS YEAR.

Gene

Glass and move a couple feet and glass some more. Be patient and remember what T bone said there are NO short cuts in that country...be safe and you will need to find water about every other day for sure.

Take lots of pictures and live in the moment.

If hunting solo, invest in a SPOT or rent a sat phone.

If hunting with a partner, choose wisely. A good partner can mean the difference between sticking it out and killing a ram or quitting and going home.

If your going in from the top I would probably take the first day just to drive to the trailhead, camp there and then hike in the next day if you have the time. It is a hell of a drive just to get to the trailhead and getting some food in you and resting up for what probably will be one of the most physical hunts in your life wouldn't be a bad idea. Stacking a 15 mile hike on top of an 8 hour drive really makes for a long day.

If your going in from the top I would probably take the first day just to drive to the trailhead, camp there and then hike in the next day if you have the time. It is a hell of a drive just to get to the trailhead and getting some food in you and resting up for what probably will be one of the most physical hunts in your life wouldn't be a bad idea. Stacking a 15 mile hike on top of an 8 hour drive really makes for a long day.

Learn from experience huh?

Good luck on the hunt! Wish those old Moosie & Tbone threads still had the photos...

Hiked into the unit from the Crags CG 8 to 9 miles to look for a place to camp and to see were I could find water. Found plenty of water once I got in that far. Also got lucky and saw 5 Sheep when they kicked loose some rocks giving away there location. Trail system is awesome for accessing the higher elevations of this unit. Beautiful, STEEP scenery. Lots of lakes that had lots of fish. Made contact with another tag holder who unfortunately chose to hire the outfitter so I'm still hoping to find other tag holders. Two of my good friend have opted to give up there early archery season to help me on my hunt. Guess I'm going to owe them big.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back