Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho to take over managing wolves in January

Ithaca 37

Let's hear from the HT wackos who said this would never happen! :D BHR, what do you have to say now?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051218/NEWS01/512180320/1002

In just a few weeks, Idaho will officially take over most wolf management duties from the federal government.

Gov. Dirk Kempthorne and U.S. Secretary of Interior Gale Norton are scheduled to sign the wolf management agreement Jan. 5 in Boise, the culmination of a federal rule approved nearly a year ago. The rule makes it possible for Idaho and Montana to take more control over managing gray wolves for the first time since they were reintroduced into both states in the mid-1990s. The wolves are considered a threatened species, protected by the federal Endangered Species Act.

Once the agreement is signed, ranchers will be able to obtain permits to kill wolves that are preying on livestock by going to state officials instead of the federal government.

"They will be the designated agent of the service," Jim Caswell, the director of the Idaho Office of Species Conservation at Boise, told the Lewiston Tribune. "They call the Fish and Game department and Fish and Game will ... investigate."

The rules also will allow states to petition the federal government for permission to kill wolves that are harming big game herds. Still, gaining such permission won't be easy — first state officials must conduct peer-reviewed studies proving the wolves are the biggest problem that big game animals such as elk face. Idaho's Department of Fish and Game is already working on one study, which should go out for peer review soon, Caswell said.

The federal government will still investigate and prosecute wolf-poaching cases.

In 1995 and 1996, the Fish and Wildlife Service released gray wolves into central Idaho and Yellowstone National Park as part of a program to re-establish wolf populations in the Northwest. The wolves are now exceeding recovery goals in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

Since the first 35 were released in central Idaho, the population has grown to 500 wolves within state lines, state fish and game officials estimate. There are believed to be more than 900 wolves in all three states combined.

Wolves in the Northern Rockies are considered biologically recovered, according to the Fish and Wildlife Service. But they can't be removed from federal protection until Idaho, Montana and Wyoming each have federally approved wolf management plans.

Though both Idaho and Montana have approved plans, Wyoming does not. Wyoming is suing the U.S. Fish and Wildlife agency over the rejection of its plan, which would allow unregulated hunting of wolves outside of national parks and designated wilderness areas.

IT,

What's new here? Does it say anything about a hunting season? So Idaho gets to pay for wolf management (other than for prosecuting wolf poachers) but can't a have a wolf season to help pay the bills or manage the population. Great deal!!!!.....if you're an idiot!

I'm one of the wakos who said it will be a long long time before a public hunting season ever happens, and I still belive that.
Think I'm wrong Ithaca ? I'll make you a bet.
I say the public will not have a wolf hunt before the next presidental election, and if you agree, I'll bet you my vote against yours. What do you say ?

A-Con, I agree. I doubt there will be a public wolf hunt before 2010, but we're getting closer every day. And it will probably be a controlled hunt.

Now the wackos are saying it will be a long, long time before we have a public hunting season. :D They used to say we'd never have a hunting season on wolves!

Watch the wackos twist their stories and try to squirm out of everything they've been saying as the hunt gets closer. hump

Doubt hunters will get in on the action for either grizz or wolves. Just my opinion, call me pesimistic, I doubt it will happen, ever. If it does, count me in. Hopefully it will be done by quota, which will fill fast if I have a hand in it. :D

Ithica, if it goes as a controlled hunt (which I'm pretty sure it will be as well, just to much pressure to stop it from being OTC) what do you see success rates being? Even with the amount that are out there and their distribution I can't see it being a very high success rate. I've been hunting in wolf country since they were introduced and see tracks almost daily but in that time I've only seen 3. To me a quota would be the best way to actually kill a few of them.

Tone, It would depend on the time and length of the hunt, but even if the season were the same as the lion season so there was a better chance of finding wolves on winter range, I doubt if the success rate could reach 10%. I guess it would be best to allow the hunt to take place all during the regular elk and deer seasons, too.

I also doubt all the big talkers in the bars who say they want to shoot a wolf will make much effort once they get a chance. It's a lot easier to sit in a bar and talk than it is to hunt wolves.

After all, they could go out and shoot a lion or bear and they don't do that. Bears and lions kill elk, too.

I completely agree with most all of that. The only way the big talk bar "hunter" will get one is blind chance or if they spot one from the cab of the truck. With a really low success rate, which I also see being the case, they "should" be able to give out quite a few tags/permits. Hopefully there is some season soon, no matter what my feelings for them are, I'd love to be able to have a wolf rug on the wall and be able to say it was legally taken in Idaho.

I'll drink to that! I know one big-talkin beer-drinkin road-huntin fatty that will put money down that if there's a quota and he's got a license, a wolf will be eating lead, and this time it won't be in the ass. :D hump

Greenhorn said:
I'll drink to that! I know one big-talkin beer-drinkin road-huntin fatty that will put money down that if there's a quota and he's got a license, a wolf will be eating lead, and this time it won't be in the ass. :D hump

Are you talking about Oscar?

BHR, looks like you made it off the ignore list.

I've been callin' for a season for some time, and will agree that we'll probably see legal wolf hunting in Idaho before we see Columbia River dam breaching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michelle419
Back