Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho. "State of deer & elk"

I think the stats have shown that most people only deer hunt one or two units a year and about 5 days no matter what the season length actual is. I don’t think you can predict how changes in season length or distribution would effect things.

I really think the elk zone I hunt the most would have less hunters if the zone system didn’t exist. Elk numbers are super low and I think most people that hunt it do so just because it’s close and the zone system makes them hunt here if they want to hunt near home
Not sure what zone you are referring to, but do you think the pressure would be even worse if the A and B tags weren't a thing and combined as one? Would a good portion of those 80-90% of unsuccessful archery hunters hunt the rifle season if they could?

I definitely think so. I think we’d have more guys hunting the archery season that normally wouldn’t. I know for sure you get more muzzleloader hunters if they didn’t have to choose A tag. For example most of the A taggers I know count on having a little rifle season or muzzleloader to fall back on. I realize not all A tags have the same opportunities. I think a lot of guys would. The few archery only guys might not but I think they’re a small portion. The rest would jump at the chance to keep hunting.

I think pressure is hard to quantify.
The elk in my zone have been “pressured” since it opened over a month ago.
But come Monday that pressure is going to increase significantly! Then it’s going to ease up a bit after rifle ends. Muzzleloader season is one of my favorites because there’s hardly anyone out there hunting. Definitely less intense pressure but technically still pressure.

I'm hoping they start listening to specific regions a little more. I have zero opinion on the panhandle or west part of the state. That being said it took 6 years of complaining and showing fish and game data to end the doe hunts in parts of the upper snake. The idea of a kid being allowed to shoot a doe is fine but it definitely had an impact on the herd in the area I hunt. Every time we showed up to the meetings saying, "We're seeing to few deer." We just got told, "People from other areas coming here like that their kid can shoot a doe while they are hunting here."

I guess they had an, "Oh shit those rednecks were right." Moment because they closed all doe harvest youth and general archery.

I'm hoping they start listening to specific regions a little more. I have zero opinion on the panhandle or west part of the state. That being said it took 6 years of complaining and showing fish and game data to end the doe hunts in parts of the upper snake. The idea of a kid being allowed to shoot a doe is fine but it definitely had an impact on the herd in the area I hunt. Every time we showed up to the meetings saying, "We're seeing to few deer." We just got told, "People from other areas coming here like that their kid can shoot a doe while they are hunting here."

I guess they had an, "Oh shit those rednecks were right." Moment because they closed all doe harvest youth and general archery.
I truly believe Idaho wants to set seasons and tag numbers and leave them alone. Forever. We had a bad winter in the west region and the deer got hit hard. Idfg kept the seasons the same. The deer haven't recovered. Wyoming got hit the same year and cut tags that spring PROACTIVELY! What a novel idea. Trust what you see on the ground and react. Don't wait to see what the harvest reports say. Harvest reports are not a good indication of deer age no difference between a 2.5yo 4pt and a 7.5yo on a report. But it makes a big difference to the health of the herd and reproduction.
If an area gets hit hard cut tags for a couple years. Stop shooting does. Then have the BIOLOGISTS reevaluate and adjusted as necessary.

Maybe the fact that we can basically hunt deer from 8/15 through the end of November if your willing to travel just a bit.

I’m all for opportunity, but the deer herd (especially the muleys) could use a little relief.
I feel it would make more sense to loosen tag limits on whitetail. If I understand it correctly, aren't they somewhat an Invasive species to Idaho?

It's a legit question. Im a transplant from Texas, where we get multiple tags each year. Ive also heard (possible Fudd lore) from older locals that Whitetail were not around here until western expansion in the 1800's.

It's a legit question. Im a transplant from Texas, where we get multiple tags each year. Ive also heard (possible Fudd lore) from older locals that Whitetail were not around here until western expansion in the 1800's.
This ain't Texas kid. No corn feeders. No protein feeders. No high fence.

What limits on whitetail hunting are you suggesting we drop? The fact that we have to have a tag for them? There's plenty of opportunity to deer hunt, we don't need to start issuing tags like it's an MLD 3 situation.

What limits on whitetail hunting are you suggesting we drop? The fact that we have to have a tag for them? There's plenty of opportunity to deer hunt, we don't need to start issuing tags like it's an MLD 3 situation.
I guess my point was, if Mule deer are under pressure would granting more whitetail tags per individual hunter make the possibility of hunting whitetail more worthwhile? Also yes, I understand that Idaho doesn't have pet deer like in Texas.

I guess my point was, if Mule deer are under pressure would granting more whitetail tags per individual hunter make the possibility of hunting whitetail more worthwhile? Also yes, I understand that Idaho doesn't have pet deer like in Texas.
Nope. Whitetail here typically live up north, muley's typically down south.

Not going to get people from Boise to drive up to Sandpoint to shoot a deer - no matter how many tags you give out. Wiping out the whitetail population doesn't decrease the other factors contributing to mule deer population decreases - like habitat loss, competition for limited resources, and big time snow years like 2017.

Where whitetail have been expanding range there are adjustments to season dates and extra whitetail deer tags with generous seasons

Nope. Whitetail here typically live up north, muley's typically down south.

Not going to get people from Boise to drive up to Sandpoint to shoot a deer - no matter how many tags you give out. Wiping out the whitetail population doesn't decrease the other factors contributing to mule deer population decreases - like habitat loss, competition for limited resources, and big time snow years like 2017.
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the information. at a surface level, it made sense to my flat terrain Texas mind that they would be mostly cohabitating and competing for resources.

Love me some MLD hunts. Probably the only good reason to visit texas

Love me some MLD hunts. Probably the only good reason to visit texas
that and exotics. there are reports of free ranging Blackbuck, axis, nilgai in certain regions now. an ecological nightmare, but fun nonetheless. Texans have very little clue what it means to maintain populations.
Idaho seems to be a bit of fresh air, REAL hunting rather than shooting pet deer.

Back