Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho spring bear unit 21A

Elimartinez88

I will be headed to Idaho this May 2019 to hunt spring bear. My aunt has a 500 acre ranch in the Carmen Idaho area up against the mountains that boarder Montana. What is my best bet to see and harvest a bear in this area? I hear there are a lot of bears in this unit. I won’t have a vehicle to travel so I am tied down to hunting the mountains by the ranch which consist of a few draws between Ajax Peak and Copperhead Peak. Any info would help. I won’t have time to bait so spot and stalk is what the plan is. I am from Arizona and know how to use a set of binos on a tripod real well. Thank you

Lots of bear up there. I see more a small drive away from that area. I'll PM you where if you want. Consequently does she allow elk or deer hunters on her place? That's an area I would either LOVE to have access to or at least be able to walk through.

Lots of bear up there. I see more a small drive away from that area. I'll PM you where if you want. Consequently does she allow elk or deer hunters on her place? That's an area I would either LOVE to have access to or at least be able to walk through.
As far as I know she hasn’t had any elk or deer hunters on her land. The owners of the neighboring ranch might. But yeah if you can Pm me that would be great! Thank you!

The bears were definitely not staying out of the apple orchards there in Carmen. I would say that your odds of finding a bear are very high. A lot of other land owners up in North Fork were also complaining about a lot of bears invading in the fall of 2018. They mentioned that it was a lot more common than in the past. I have heard of a big cinnamon that was running around in the Sage Brush right outside of town. He got chased out by a guy with hounds but came right back the next day. Seems like it will be a lot of fun.

The bears were definitely not staying out of the apple orchards there in Carmen. I would say that your odds of finding a bear are very high. A lot of other land owners up in North Fork were also complaining about a lot of bears invading in the fall of 2018. They mentioned that it was a lot more common than in the past. I have heard of a big cinnamon that was running around in the Sage Brush right outside of town. He got chased out by a guy with hounds but came right back the next day. Seems like it will be a lot of fun.

I was headed deer hunting early one morning last October and found a sow and two cubs dead on 93 just North of North Fork. Put a damper on the day.

I will be headed to Idaho this May 2019 to hunt spring bear. My aunt has a 500 acre ranch in the Carmen Idaho area up against the mountains that boarder Montana. What is my best bet to see and harvest a bear in this area? I hear there are a lot of bears in this unit. I won’t have a vehicle to travel so I am tied down to hunting the mountains by the ranch which consist of a few draws between Ajax Peak and Copperhead Peak. Any info would help. I won’t have time to bait so spot and stalk is what the plan is. I am from Arizona and know how to use a set of binos on a tripod real well. Thank you
I know this is an older thread but just joined hunt talk and was wanting to know how your hunt turned out, we are going to Idaho this spring on a day bear hunt.

They didnt survive the hunt, will you?....
Well I sure hope so time will tell, we'll be out there 27th of may till the 12th of June, we planned on hunting in 28 but after speaking with someone yesterday getting back into where we wanted to go could be a problem due to snow and they suggested 21 or 21 A. Any info on getting in would be appreciated.

Hunted unit 28 for sheep in 2017, then last fall for elk. Lots of sign and saw bears several times during each hunt.

Panther Creek Rd open year around. Williams Lake Rd kept open year round for the mine out of Cobalt. Access to large areas to hunt not a problem. I'm sure 21A is similar.

Panther Creek Rd open year around. Williams Lake Rd kept open year round for the mine out of Cobalt. Access to large areas to hunt not a problem. I'm sure 21A is similar.
Appreciate the info, we have been planning this trip since last fall, we are coming from Missouri, 3 old Army veterans, have done alot of map recon in 28 and looking forward to getting in there, just recently started looking at 21 and 21A due to info I got that we wouldn't be able to get into 28 till July, this is definitely good news, thanks again.

Northfork is at 3500'.

By June 1st all the snow will be melted below 4500' and patchy up to 6000'. Go up Panther Creek. In the fall chest waders will cross Panther Creek so you could hunt west. Doubt it in early June.

Hey Guys,
Trying to get a DIY Spot & Stalk Bear trip put together. Done a ton of research the last couple weeks and here is what I have gathered... would be awesome if any of you guys with experience would let me run some of my ideas by you
Dates: Anything before middle of may can be a toss up, end of may, early june is likely best bet for access and bears.

Units:
Unit 1: I have come across unit 1 in many articles and forums. What I have concurred is that this unit is very thick and rugged country... but lots of bears. Has anyone had any experience in this unit? It does not allow baiting or hounds, and that sounds like a huge plus for anybody looking to stalk bears. Sounds like the East side of Priest Lake is the best bet for glassing country?

Unit 4: I have also come across Unit 4 quite a bit as well. Sounds like this unit is slightly more open country and more accessible... but baiting and hounds is allowed. A few articles have noted that there are enough baiting outfits to make it difficult to kill a bear by S&S. Anyone have any experience S&S in this area?

Unit 12: This unit has come up quite a bit as well. Good harvest numbers, and appears to have good glassing country. A few other forums have noted that the upper end of the unit by the Lochsa River is more suited for S&S but has a good amount of guiding outfits.

Unit 33: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise

Unit 39: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise. Harvest numbers are likely skewed due to number of hunters.

Unit 43: This unit sounds like it is easier to move around in vehicle-wise. Lots of public land here, and borders unit 39 but is a little higher in elevation.

Have also been reading into the Frank Church/Selway Zones and they sound like they can definitely be productive

We also will likely buy wolf tags if we end up hunting units that have a population of wolves. Sounds like they hang more up in elevation, regardless of snow line. Anyone have any pointers for this?

If anyone who has hunted these areas or others in the state can contribute to my findings or speculations it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Unit 1 has grizz, unit 12 the outfitters will be hunting bait or maybe running hounds in a couple spots. I can’t think of any outfitter wanting to devote the time and energy to spot and stalk when they can just drop a client to go sit a bait and they can go back to camp

Hey Guys,
Trying to get a DIY Spot & Stalk Bear trip put together. Done a ton of research the last couple weeks and here is what I have gathered... would be awesome if any of you guys with experience would let me run some of my ideas by you
Dates: Anything before middle of may can be a toss up, end of may, early june is likely best bet for access and bears.

Units:
Unit 1: I have come across unit 1 in many articles and forums. What I have concurred is that this unit is very thick and rugged country... but lots of bears. Has anyone had any experience in this unit? It does not allow baiting or hounds, and that sounds like a huge plus for anybody looking to stalk bears. Sounds like the East side of Priest Lake is the best bet for glassing country?

Unit 4: I have also come across Unit 4 quite a bit as well. Sounds like this unit is slightly more open country and more accessible... but baiting and hounds is allowed. A few articles have noted that there are enough baiting outfits to make it difficult to kill a bear by S&S. Anyone have any experience S&S in this area?

Unit 12: This unit has come up quite a bit as well. Good harvest numbers, and appears to have good glassing country. A few other forums have noted that the upper end of the unit by the Lochsa River is more suited for S&S but has a good amount of guiding outfits.

Unit 33: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise

Unit 39: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise. Harvest numbers are likely skewed due to number of hunters.

Unit 43: This unit sounds like it is easier to move around in vehicle-wise. Lots of public land here, and borders unit 39 but is a little higher in elevation.

Have also been reading into the Frank Church/Selway Zones and they sound like they can definitely be productive

We also will likely buy wolf tags if we end up hunting units that have a population of wolves. Sounds like they hang more up in elevation, regardless of snow line. Anyone have any pointers for this?

If anyone who has hunted these areas or others in the state can contribute to my findings or speculations it would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Unit 1 is thick, just like unit 2. The best spot and stalk areas are probably the western front of the Cabinets or the Seklirks east of Priest Lake, as you said. Just be aware that this is grizzly country and is typically not fully accessible until early-mid June. I've seen 1 black bear and maybe 6 grizzlies in my time in the Selkirks..

Back