Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho Sage grouse counts

Idaho Ron

I am conducting sage grouse counts again this year. This will be my 7th year working with sage grouse. So far this year we are getting a little rain and snow. This will give us a good bug crop and the grass is growing. I have not looked at long term weather but if the rain tapers off a little and is dry for the hatch I think this year will be better than last for chukar and sage grouse in southern Idaho. Everything looks good so far. Here are a few pictures from 5-15-05.
I took Gretta to help me locate where the "lost" leks were. Some times the leks will relocate from year to year. Gretta helped me locate several hens. I kick her out and she runs in front of the truck. In this picture she is pointing a hen.
Forgive the pictures. I was about 100 yards away and I used my spotting scope held up to my camera. Ron

275594.jpg

275595.jpg

275596.jpg

275597.jpg

275598.jpg

All the reports I've heard are that lek counts in No. UT are up a bunch! One lek just south of the ID border that had 13 birds last year had over 200 on it this year! Deseret Land and Livestock's counts are up 75-100% over last year! Looks like a GOOD year for sage grouse.

Great pictures!!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back