Idaho results

Another chance at an early season archery muley and pronghorn for me.

I was expecting another grand kid brag photo session. These little ones are almost just as cute.

I really don't understand why Idaho hasn't implemented a preference point system yet. Not to mention that the number of and variety of youth hunts the IDFG offer for our younger hunters is pathetic compared to other Western States. Can anyone shed some light on why we don't have a preference point system and the lack of opportunities for youth hunters?

I really don't understand why Idaho hasn't implemented a preference point system yet. Not to mention that the number of and variety of youth hunts the IDFG offer for our younger hunters is pathetic compared to other Western States. Can anyone shed some light on why we don't have a preference point system and the lack of opportunities for youth hunters?

Preference points would be a killer. I hope they never implement them. Idaho has the best draw system in the west. A point system will make odds even worse and it would certainly create even less opportunities for our youth down the road.

You need to do the math and run the scenarios in depth, and you will see why a point system is a bad thing.

What's pathetic about our youth hunts? Can't they shoot a doe in almost any unit throughout the entire state with their general tag? Wanting a point system and more opportunities for youth is a complete oxymoron. The youth ESPECIALLY are who get screwed by point systems. If you do not get in on the ground floor and put in every single year then you get screwed down the road by point creep. Point creep is already becoming an issue in Wyoming, just read the thread about it last week when the Wyoming results came out. Utah and Colorado are another story, 10-12 points for a bear tag that doesn't even seem like that quality of a hunt. 15-20 points for a deer tag? You want to wait that long to hunt deer? You can shoot 2 of each of those here every year.

Last edited:

That would be the worst mistake ID. could ever make in my opinion. Point creep is the devil and after 10 years those kids won't have a chance to hunt anything that isn't over the counter tags. ID. has the best system going out west in my opinion at the moment. Just look at what is happening in CO. and WY. with the point systems people have almost 10-20 years of points built up and still can't get the tag they want. Anytime you have way more applicants than tags available which is the case in all trophy tag unit areas it's much better to just have a straight up draw. I love the way ID. makes you pick animals also.

That would be the worst mistake ID. could ever make in my opinion. Point creep is the devil and after 10 years those kids won't have a chance to hunt anything that isn't over the counter tags. ID. has the best system going out west in my opinion at the moment. Just look at what is happening in CO. and WY. with the point systems people have almost 10-20 years of points built up and still can't get the tag they want. Anytime you have way more applicants than tags available which is the case in all trophy tag unit areas it's much better to just have a straight up draw. I love the way ID. makes you pick animals also.

+1 Good to see a NR that knows what's up. There is a reason why our trophy odds are some of, if not, the best in the west.

I might give up on draws... I have never drew on anything and not even back when I put in for youth hunts

I might give up on draws... I have never drew on anything and not even back when I put in for youth hunts
For $7 I doubt you will.
It took me 15 years to draw my first tag. I think you need to evaluate what tags you are putting in for and what the real odds are. If you just want a bull tag stop putting in for 54-46-40 Or whatever and put in for like 13-14-18 or somewhere you can just put a average bull on the ground with a good chance of drawing.

Have to agree with Magnet- If you put in for premium hunts that hold the premium animals you know going in it is going to be a crap shoot.

For $7 I doubt you will.
It took me 15 years to draw my first tag. I think you need to evaluate what tags you are putting in for and what the real odds are. If you just want a bull tag stop putting in for 54-46-40 Or whatever and put in for like 13-14-18 or somewhere you can just put a average bull on the ground with a good chance of drawing.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back