Idaho preference points?

Oak

Expert
Looks like Idaho still hasn't come up with a preference point plan? What's the status of the discussion? The latest dated item I could find on the IDFG website was a year ago.

As far as I know it died last year and I don't think it was brought up at all this year. Hopefully the debate on them goes away and stays away.

Several of there questions on there mule deer survey is linked up with points etc, its not dead there still trying to gain more info on how to go about managing things. Personally I prefer bonus points! I've been a resident for 7 yrs now and can't even draw a friggin turkey tag, I would much rather wait 4-5 yrs and be guarenteed a tag then have it be a crap shoot, JMO.

I think it is only a matter of time before they go to points. Just think of all the extra $$$ from the NR who will apply because they get a point. I think some people just like collecting points.

GatoMan, just buy a turkey tag and go shoot one in the clearwater region. We've got more than we need for god sakes. I've struck out on the same elk tag for about 6 years in a row now, just the breaks. It's one of the harder draws in the state, at least I know I'm on equal footing with everyone else. The only other controlled hunts I've applyed for I've got everytime, a few extra doe tags, a cow elk tag when I was 14, and my mule deer tag last year.

The point of drawing a turkey tag is so I can go 5 mins from my house here in unit 38 and kill one and not have to spend the money in gas to go a million other places, yeah theres lots of turkeys in other areas no big deal, but its alot nicer to hunt out your backyard.

I'm against it for the big 3 !!! I think it's a good idea for the other critters, if done right. I jsut don't know enough about the system to know whats "right" ;) Thats my take.

My understanding was the big three werent going to even be considered because of the already long odds. I think we should leave it alone. Everyones name in the same hat with the same chance. Equality from the start, without worrying that people will be allowed to buy extra points when Fish and Game run short on dollars in the future.

IMO, ID is the fairest state of all when it comes to drawing a tag. That said, I would pay for points if they go that route. Funny how even with points the really hard tags to draw are still really crappy odds.

Back