Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Idaho OTC McCall region

rhino5326

Hey guys,

Been following this forum and the podcast for a while now and I am finally getting onboard with an account. I am in the military and live in Virginia, I will be doing my first elk hunt this year in Idaho and am as excited as can be. I have been doing all the reading/ research I can since I don't have any actual field time. Also, Ive been plugging friends of mine that have had successful hunts to gain any kind of knowledge available. I am not new to hunting and comfortable with the basics. I am planning on backpacking in for a week or so and know that the further away I get away from trail and the road/ deeper in the backcountry, the more likely I am to be successful.

I am hoping that someone on here that is familiar with the McCall zone can help point me in the right direction to start. I am not looking for anyone to hold my hand, just looking for some insight because it is extremely difficult to scout from the other side of the country. I have spent countless hours on google earth and looking over maps of area to somewhat get familiar with zones, but nothing beats boots on ground.

FYI, I spoke with an biologist before the draw and she insisted that I put in for a different zone near sun valley, so that is where I ended up making the long journey to do some counting when I had some leave. Unfortunately I didn't draw and ended up doing the OTC for McCall which I've heard has some big bulls.

Thanks in advance for insight!

Ryan

Good luck! Thought perhaps I could help you out, but checked the Weiser Zone we usually hunt and never get far enough North to abut the McCall Zone.

What you said here applies, tons of ATVs and road hunters:

" I am planning on backpacking in for a week or so and know that the further away I get away from trail and the road/ deeper in the backcountry, the more likely I am to be successful."

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back