Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho or Montana

Gunner46

Which state do you think would provide a better hunting experience? From what I've been able to find online, so far, Idaho seems to be a more flexible option (baiting, 2nd tag, reduced $ tags), but that doesn't necessarily translate into a better opportunity for spending even more $$$ at the taxidermist and meat processor!

I've looked into Maine, but from what I've seen, even with a guide, the bear size is generally on the dink side. I'm not excepting to bring home another B&C bear, but I really don't want to waste my time and money chasing BooBoo and his 20 cousins either.

Canada is a NO WAY JOSE. (Like I need Another country having a record of my firearms)

Have you looked into Minnesota? I am not a bear hunter, but I hear of a lot of 200+ pound bears. I think the record was or is from the Duluth area.

How do you want to hunt them, bait or spot/stalk? That will answer the question in the subject line pretty quick.

WI, last I saw, has more B&C bears than anywhere else in the lower 48. Both MN and WI, you will likely wait a couple of years to draw a tag.

MT gets the nod if you want to spot and stalk, ID if you want to bait or run hounds.

You can have a good spot and stalk hunt in Idaho, but you'd want to either get a LONG ways from a trail, or hunt in one of the no bait areas. If you hunt close to a trail in a bait area though, you'll never know if there's guys baiting around you, and bears that have the options to eat donuts don't want to eat grass in avalanche chutes.

Also, MT and ID bears are small compared to most places. The allure of hunting them up here is the scenery and color phases, not size of bears.

I have my doubts that a traveling hunter could bait and have bears hitting it before their hunting vacation is over.

If I was you, I would have put in for the couple spring bear draw units in Idaho (that would give you your spot and stalk) with good odds of success on a great bear.

Then if you didn't draw...I would probably get a general tag in north Idaho for spot and Stalk, or Montana (where, I have no idea).

I'm pretty certain with your local, baiting will be out of the question, it is a serious commitment 1-2 times a week depending on if you have a barrel or ground bait, whether it's close or far.

I think your only option coming from another state is spot and stalk...I think either state would work, but north Idaho would be your best bet if you were choosing Idaho.

I would have to say Pennsylvania has more record book bear and they are the size of Buicks. Good luck getting on one the terrain is thick timber with no use of bait or hounds.most of them are killed on drives during deer season. Also, you might try north Carolina coast.just my opinion

I have my doubts that a traveling hunter could bait and have bears hitting it before their hunting vacation is over.

+1

Baiting is a ridiculous amount of work, even when the trailhead is 45 minutes from your doorstep.

Our bears are small. I'd say about 2 out of every 10 bears I see are "big", and "big" appears to only be about 250-300 lbs for my area. We've only ground checked a few though.

When I worked in Idaho (North Fork area) a couple of years ago there were bears all over. Most were a chocolate brown, nothing special in size, pretty dumb. Wolves also present.

Western Montana has an abundance of bears, and if you put in some time you can certainly shoot a 6-7 footer. SW montana thaws out a little sooner than the NW corner but you want to hit it right when it starts to green up otherwise is is super difficult to find a bear when the vegetation has leaves esp in NW montana where there are massive brush feilds that can be awesome early but a nightmare later.

How do you want to hunt them, bait or spot/stalk? That will answer the question in the subject line pretty quick.

WI, last I saw, has more B&C bears than anywhere else in the lower 48. Both MN and WI, you will likely wait a couple of years to draw a tag.

Eastern side of the state where I grew up, you're going to wait 8-9 years. However, there are usually some 5-600 pound bears taken every year.

Pa takes at least a dozen bears over 500 each year and a half dozen over 600.And every year or two a 700-800lber.I take out 25 guys each year for our season if you want to enjoy crawling thru swamps for a few days.My area of the state is known for the biggest bears.Its a good time with some great/fun guys hunting hard.I would think Pa has many more BC bears then Wi,but not sure.North Carolina has some giants and you could do a dog hunt there.I wouldn't waste time on Maine,but they do get a few good ones there.I have a contact where I can go on a baited hunt for $100 a day there.Myself, I always wanted to try spot and stalk in Montana.I'd really only be looking for color phase though.Seems like the most sporting way to try and tag one,not that baiting is easy by any means

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back