Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Opening Rifle Success !!

How about second day success? Also not mine, but I know the story, helped with the work of getting it to camp, and have the pictures?

I know it was'nt me, someone hussled me out of my weekly gas money playing cards so here I sit...lol

HAHA.....were you gunna use that "hundy" to buy gas ? I wish I would have known.. I just used it to buy food .... ;)

I took the wifey up to the Sawtooth Zone. We got into elk both days. The first day we hiked in in the dark and right at light spotted a small herd feeding just outside the timber. Before it was light enough to make out antlers a calf decided to wander up into the timber right where we were sitting :BLEEP: The calf bolted and the others followed. One was a decent bull. Yesterday we got into them in the same place but by daylight all but two were in the timber. We got on them in the timber twice but it was thick and we never got a shot. The wolves were in the same clearing as the elk Sunday morning. :mad: One for thing for sure, it was way too warm for October in the Sawtooths.

It's funny how the Wolf lovers want to hear wolves. But what about the elk lovers ?!?! The last 6 times I've been to the Sawtooths I've heard the Eeiry howls, but never a Bugle. that being said, there's plenty of Elk in them thar hills. Good luck on ya !!!

Opening morning (saturday) I could have taken a shot at a decent bull at 400 yards (checked earlier with range finder). He was working his way toward me so I decided to wait for a better shot. As luck would have it he changed directions and went out the bottom of the canyon where I didn't have a shot. :BLEEP: I also saw a small raghorn and a couple spikes that morning but they were over 400 yards away so I decided not to shot.
I wasn't able to get back out until Monday afternoon. My friend had killed a bull about 2 miles back in so I spent most of the evening helping him bone out and pack his bull. It was only a young ragehorn but it had a club on one side. Tuesday I hunted hard all day without even seeing an elk :confused: . Even though I was only able to hunt 2 of the days I still had a good time. Next year I think I will buy an "A tag" and try to stick one with my bow. Even ater getting a couple miles away from the road in steep country it was still a war zone hunting on the "B tag".

We had three down and back in camp opening day. 2 spikes an a five point. I passed on a 50yd shot at a spike and ended up heading back to WA empty. We ended up with 4 of nine tags filled (added another spike to the total). All but two hunters at least had a chance to fill their tag. First time I've hunted Idaho, pretty country you guys got over there. Kind of vertical, alot like what I generally hunt over on the Coast.

WW

Unit 10-A was good to me this year. I was the first shot heard in the area opening morning:)
Day before the opener I got up early and glassed some clearcuts prior to full daylight. Spied 3 bulls chowing down in one area, then drove another mile and found another bull doing the same.
Opening morning I hiked in between the two spots. The crack of a branch got my attention riveted on this 5x5. His vitals were hidden behind a tree so I decided to take a few steps forward and he did the same catching me mid-stride. A quick snap shot brought him down within 50 yards in a tangle of downed timber.
I spent the rest of the two weeks looking for a mature whitetail and passed on several young 4 pointers. It's amazing how many more elk you see after you've punched your tag. They all got shot with the digital camera though :D
5X5.jpg

Bob/AK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back