Idaho Nonresident DIY OTC General Deer hunting

dirtnap_nation

Hey guys I lived in Boise Idaho area for 3 years and hunted unit 39 for elk and deer. I was successful on a cow elk my first trip and a Mule deer 4x4 buck a couple years after. I know the area but there is always so many hunters so I want to try and hunt a different area. My dad and I are looking to do a non guided diy deer hunt in and OTC unit. We live in Northern California near the Bay Area, so we would like to hunt southern Idaho but we will drive up to the panhandle if that's a better option. What units would you guys recommend for us to go hunt. We will most likely do and early season Archery hunt than a mid to late November rifle hunt during the rut if we aren't successful on and early season hunt. Which OTC general units would you guys recommend that have good public land access that are a general OTC unit. Any tips and advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

We were thinking Owyhee since it's a general unit but aren't sure

Hunted the SE corner of Idaho this year and didn't see too many deer. The winter kill of 2016-2017 is still being felt on he SE corner of the state.

The southwest corner of Idaho (units 41 and 40) are 2 point bucks only, no doe harvest for the otc tag. If you want a controlled hunt then draw odds are very low. 46 is an otc tag, but it is a road hunt with very isolated pockets of deer. All units within about 2 hours of boise are combat hunting during the general hunt. Everybody and their brother try to get "way back" and "up high". You might have a better hunt if you can put in for a draw.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back