Idaho Mule Deer

so next October me and 2 buddies are going to public land hunt mule deer in Unit 36/ 36b. I can't really find much on the web about the pubic land hunts just the controlled hunt areas that require draw tags. Has anyone hunted that Unit before?

People get a little sensitive about someone's first post asking "where do I hunt in unit x" because there will be dozens of people who come here, ask that question and then never come back or contribute to the forum each year. Also if someone tried to help and said checkout Blueberry Hill, next year there would be 1000 extra people there finding their thrill there because they googled Hunting Unit X in Idaho and that thread popped up with Blueberry Hill being a likely spot.

My name is Connor, I’m from central Texas, I’m 25 this is going to be my first big game hunt not guided.
Never been there Connor, but good luck on your hunt and post some pics when you get back!

Generally you get out of a DIY hunt about as much as you put into it. Spend a lot of time studying maps/etc., have several backup plans (you'll likely need them), hunt daylight to dark and you'll be fine.

People get a little sensitive about someone's first post asking "where do I hunt in unit x" because there will be dozens of people who come here, ask that question and then never come back or contribute to the forum each year. Also if someone tried to help and said checkout Blueberry Hill, next year there would be 1000 extra people there finding their thrill there because they googled Hunting Unit X in Idaho and that thread popped up with Blueberry Hill being a likely spot.
I didn’t think about it like that, little new to whole hunting forums type of stuff. I’m more used to the ol word to mouth but being from Texas not many people hunt in Idaho Ha. Okay well let me retract my original question and change it to this.
Does anyone have any tips for a first timer hunting in Idaho?

Never been there Connor, but good luck on your hunt and post some pics when you get back!

Generally you get out of a DIY hunt about as much as you put into it. Spend a lot of time studying maps/etc., have several backup plans (you'll likely need them), hunt daylight to dark and you'll be fine.
Yeah I actually got the direct line for the Fishing and Hunting ( Like Texas Parks and Wildlife) for the area we’ll be in and have about 3 pages worth of of info so far. And I spend most nights searching stuff and equipment, etc...

Hi Conner. After chasing radio collared big horns around that country a few times, my best advise is to plan on it taking 3-4 times as long as you think it will to get anywhere on foot. It is some rough, steep country. Good luck to you. ---R

Get good boots and get in shape. Be hunting first light and last light of each day. Have good optics and use them liberally. A good pair of 10x42 binos will be fine. Plan on finding most of your deer a mile or more from the road. Don't be afraid to change locations. Like mentioned above, have plans B,C,D,E, and F. Best of luck to ya.

Get good boots and get in shape. Be hunting first light and last light of each day. Have good optics and use them liberally. A good pair of 10x42 binos will be fine. Plan on finding most of your deer a mile or more from the road. Don't be afraid to change locations. Like mentioned above, have plans B,C,D,E, and F. Best of luck to ya.
Thank you much! I actually just picked up a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10X42 last week. And the spot we’re planning on setting our base camp is about 2.75 miles from the nearest vehicle road.

By that time of year plan for snow as it will start in the mountains is Sep. It will take quite a bit to get the bucks to move down so just because there is snow don't mean they all will head down. Like everyone else said find a good place and glass. Don't be afraid to move if you are not seeing anything

I am from the Sawtooth Valley and I can tell you that unit 36 is a beautiful place but a tough hunt for rifle deer in October. Watch the weather and if you are not seeing sign, try closer to the winter ranges. When the deer decide to leave, they leave.

Do your homework and work hard and you’ll have a successful hunt whether you fill your tag or not. Can’t find a better place to spend time than the Sawtooth Mountains.

My name is Connor, I’m from central Texas, I’m 25 this is going to be my first big game hunt not guided.
you are going from flat lands to vertical climbs. Are you sure you are prepared for the booty kicking that will come from 36/36b? Find a high point and glass. you'll need your eyes to cover the country because as much as you may think you are going to tromp through the woods to grandmothers house, it ain't happening in there.

you are going from flat lands to vertical climbs. Are you sure you are prepared for the booty kicking that will come from 36/36b? Find a high point and glass. you'll need your eyes to cover the country because as much as you may think you are going to tromp through the woods to grandmothers house, it ain't happening in there.
Oh yeah I’m 200lbs and in great shape for Texas, which I know will not transfer to the altitude difference. But I have a friend who has been multiple times and has a training program I’m going to start 6 months prior

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back