Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho Moose

Elkwithastick

Has anyone had any experience in 68A for Moose or even deer? Just looking at what kind of hunt/ area it is. I know it has sketchy access and can be hit and miss, but I was wondering if anyone has had feet on the ground in there. Thanks.

Lots and lots of whitetail...mule deer also in spots. There is decent moose numbers in certain areas of the unit. Access very limited unless you got a boat with a motor strong enough to go upstream or know somebody that will let you cross their property to access BLM lands.

Also it's not your typical Idaho hunting experience. Flat as a pancake, hotter than hell, bugs out the ass until it cools down, super thick riparian zones hold all the animals. Come june thru october it's a small nightmare walking around in it.

Was in 69-2 a couple of years ago for bull moose. Likely, close but no cigar. Idaho has a long, long moose season that spans rut up to leaves have mostly fallen. Unless a migration unit where bulls move in or out so have to hunt the unit early to see moose or wait until late to see moose then I suggest hunting the rut then, if do not fill the tag, return as the leaves are mostly off the trees along the streams and bogs.

When I lived in Pocatello, ( 2014-2017) I hunted 68A pretty often for rabbits, pheasants, ducks, and geese. I stuck mostly to the Sterling WMA but occasionally wondered the banks when the water was low along the small pockets of public land. Whitetail were pretty common just about everywhere but moose seemed to randomly show up and disappear. I definitely saw a lot of rattlesnakes.

Limited access...and not a typical moose hunt. The unit is basically a bunch of open farm fields, and then thick wooded stuff by the river. Obviously the moose are in the thick stuff. A boat would help a lot as you can legally hunt up to high water mark all along the river.

Keep in mind that a large chunk of the public lands in there are Indian reservation land.
It's either public or reservation. It can't be both. There is a few big chunks of B.I.A land. But that is legal for us non native folks to hunt.

You are correct about the public vs reservation. I should have put the word public in quotation like this "public".
I am by no means an expert on 68a just giving the op a heads up. I would check into the legality with the Fort hall Indian tribe before I would apply.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190416-080654_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20190416-080654_onX Hunt.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
You are correct about the public vs reservation. I should have put the word public in quotation like this "public".
I am by no means an expert on 68a just giving the op a heads up. I would check into the legality with the Fort hall Indian tribe before I would apply.
I figured that was what you were speaking of. I go to fort hall and get a trespass permit every year just to be on the safe side. But you are aloud to hunt in restricted areas that are on the hwy 39 side of the snake river. Once you are on the other side of the snake river you are not aloud on it at all without a permit let alone hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back