Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho Moose Unit 12-2 any help?

elker

Just drew a bull moose tag fo Idaho 12-2 Lolo Pass area. Never hunted there. Number of tags went down this year, I'm thinking wolves had impact in lower moose numbers. I'll get a wolf tag or two and try to put a dent in their population up there.

Any help where to start scouting for moose would be great.:)

Not much of a secret to it. Hunt as many days as you can, and be mobile. you can see a moose in any quarter section in the unit, just have to keep at it until the you find one you're happy with. They're spread out, but they're in there.

It's thick up there, really thick. That area could use a burn like we got on the MT side. Coming in the rut and getting good at calling could be a big help.

Randy11, I agree not much of a secret as witth moose hunting. Hunt early and late, hopefully during the rut. They seem to favor certain types of habitat, willows, swamp areas, river bottoms, etc.

I like the trying the calling idea. Wasn't going to use that, but it would be exciting to have a moose come into a call. Thx

I was up there years ago and the Hoodoo Lake area was overrun with moose. I got chased by more of them than I care to remember. I havnt been there in a long time but I would start there, beautiful country too!

I like the trying the calling idea. Wasn't going to use that, but it would be exciting to have a moose come into a call. Thx

You should very much look into calling, cow moose have a very short ovulation window. When they call, the boys listen and come running. A very effective tool in the N. Idaho jungle.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back