Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho Moose Tag

txco

I got lucky and pulled a NR tag in the Idaho panhandle for my first ever moose hunt. September 15 - December 1 season. To say Im excited is an understatement since at the going rate, theres no guarantee to ever get a Shiras tag even with double digit points in most states.

This fall will be tough as we have two kids under 3, both of us work, and Im a lucky SOB who drew another lottery hunt Im planning to do in November now. So Im leaning towards hiring a guide. Id also really like to do this with my bow. I dont care as much about size and my wife and I are excited about the meat. I just really want to enjoy this unique experience in a beautiful part of the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oak
Probably my biggest question at the moment if folks can weigh in- whats the best time to go and hunt the rut? Im debating between the last week of September vs the first week of October. From what I hear and have read it seems the rut peaks in early October. But with moose travelling and getting locked down with cows, is it easier to pattern/call/hunt them the week leading up to it? Ive always had bit more success hunting right before the peak of the rut.

I also would probably be able to stay longer if I went early and as Khunter mentioned on his hunt, the rifle season for deer and elk comes into play on October 10th.

Should I be concerned about the full moon on September 29th?

Im looking forward to making a moose magnet call this summer with my son, but I dont think my wife and neighbors are… Hes already gotten excited copying a reindeer call from the Grinch movie.

Congrats on the tags! what is the other lottery tag? Maybe starts a “txco 2023 hunts” thread so we can enjoy following along..

I was in SE ID last year and in notoriously not very good unit. Doing it again (in that situation) I would not hunt till late Sept at least. I killed on Oct 6 and killed the only bull I called in after 24? days of calling.

But with a Colo tag in a moose rich area back in 2005, I saw lots of bulls mid Sept right where saw them late summer and it was pretty easy to tag one after a few days of hunting. No idea if you are in a quality area or not npbut that might shape how you approach it.

Dig up as many prior tag holders as possible to feel out how they approached it and get 1st hand opinions, some of which will be useful and some useless.

Last edited:
Thanks. I won the raffle for the Colorado statewide deer tag. Ill at least do recaps for sure, not sure a live thread will have much action until I get in the field this fall.

Its unit 4. Ive already talked to a couple previous tag holders in the last week since I drew. Hoping to reach more folks and the biologist after the holiday weekend.

Congrats on the tags! what is the other lottery tag? Maybe starts a “txco 2023 hunts” thread so we can enjoy following along..

I was in SE ID last year and in notoriously not very good unit. Doing it again (in that situation) I would not hunt till late Sept at least. I killed on Oct 6 and killed the only bull I called in after 24? days of calling.

But with a Colo tag in a moose rich area back in 2005, I saw lots of bulls mid Sept right where saw them late summer and it was pretty easy to tag one after a few days of hunting. No idea if you are in a quality area or not npbut that might shape how you approach it.

Dig up as many prior tag holders as possible to feel out how they approached it and get 1st hand opinions, some of which will be useful and some useless.

Ok started a live hunt thread

Heck yea what unit in Idaho did you draw. I drew 76-2 moose tag. Was our setting cams up this weekend and looking for sign and animals

Congrats on the tag! My experience is limited to the last couple of years and mostly southern Idaho but I’ve seen plenty of activity first week of October. Even seen bulls chasing cows and responding to calls at the end of October. Photo below was taken on October 1st last year with a bill chasing a cow all over my duck decoys, second on October 29th in the same area with multiple bulls chasing a cow. If I had to redo my hunt from last year though I’d hunt the first week of October.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpeg
    IMG_1447.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Back