Idaho Moose Pics

elkrchr

Congratulations to you and your wife! It is amazing that an animal so big can be so hard to find. I had an ID moose tag for 71-2 back in 98' and like you and your wife, didn't see much during late summer/early fall. But man, come the end of September/early October, the came out of hiding!

Festus

Wowser, Great bull! Congrats to you both!
Kudos to the other hunters that helped save the meat.

bigoldbull

That is a great bull! Congrats to you both! I drew a unit 77 moose tag this year, so its fun to read about "local" bulls like this one!

grizzly_

That is a great bull! Congrats to you both! I drew a unit 77 moose tag this year, so its fun to read about "local" bulls like this one!
That's great. Congrats! Don't worry if you're not seeing bulls early on. We scouted all summer and found bulls but they disappeared once the season started. This was the first bull we found once the season opened and it was September 25th and chasing a cow. They'll show up in the rut or late season.

bigoldbull

That's great. Congrats! Don't worry if you're not seeing bulls early on. We scouted all summer and found bulls but they disappeared once the season started. This was the first bull we found once the season opened and it was September 25th and chasing a cow. They'll show up in the rut or late season.
That is good advice. Thanks! I get all sorts of opinions from people, ranging from making sure I kill one before the rut hits and they start wandering, to not even going out until the rut is in full swing because they will be out wandering. Haha

I have already been out looking though. I am so excited for it!

grizzly_

That is good advice. Thanks! I get all sorts of opinions from people, ranging from making sure I kill one before the rut hits and they start wandering, to not even going out until the rut is in full swing because they will be out wandering. Haha

I have already been out looking though. I am so excited for it!
One more piece of unsolicited advice 😉

Get a cow call. We didn't use one on my wife's hunt, but I helped on another moose hunt last year and we sat up and glassed for hours, only finding a few smaller bulls, and then the guy with the tag got out his cow call... I was rolling my eyes when he started blowing on it, but the branches right below us started snapping and that big bull walked right in on us swinging his head back and forth and the guy shot it at just a few yards. It was awesome!

bigoldbull

One more piece of unsolicited advice 😉

Get a cow call. We didn't use one on my wife's hunt, but I helped on another moose hunt last year and we sat up and glassed for hours, only finding a few smaller bulls, and then the guy with the tag got out his cow call... I was rolling my eyes when he started blowing on it, but the branches right below us started snapping and that big bull walked right in on us swinging his head back and forth and the guy shot it at just a few yards. It was awesome!
That is great advice! Do you happen to know what kind of call he was using? Thanks!

CBender09

That is great advice! Do you happen to know what kind of call he was using? Thanks!
I have the Rocky Mountain hunting calls cow moose call (forget what it’s called). Grabbed it last year for my Montana hunt, obviously won’t be needing it at least for quite some time. Would be willing to get rid of it.

my advice, hunt the rut the hardest. Mid-late September, to mid October (ish). They’re way easier to find when they start wandering. It’s not hard to pick out a big black spot on a landscape. I have a pic of mine from June 2nd. I scouted a lot being only 45min away. I NEVER saw him (pic was from someone else), and never saw a single bull scouting. But, I was consistently seeing cows, and one very small bull early in the season. I figured once the rut hits, the bulls would come, and I was right. I heard they could cover 7 miles in a day looking for a cow peak rut.

bigoldbull

I have the Rocky Mountain hunting calls cow moose call (forget what it’s called). Grabbed it last year for my Montana hunt, obviously won’t be needing it at least for quite some time. Would be willing to get rid of it.

my advice, hunt the rut the hardest. Mid-late September, to mid October (ish). They’re way easier to find when they start wandering. It’s not hard to pick out a big black spot on a landscape. I have a pic of mine from June 2nd. I scouted a lot being only 45min away. I NEVER saw him (pic was from someone else), and never saw a single bull scouting. But, I was consistently seeing cows, and one very small bull early in the season. I figured once the rut hits, the bulls would come, and I was right. I heard they could cover 7 miles in a day looking for a cow peak rut.
I would be interested in more info on the call you have. It probably wouldn't hurt to have it in my arsenal.

That seems to match a lot of what I have heard and read. Getting out and scouting is more an effort to learn the country and get in shape than it is to find a specific bull and pattern him. It sounds like that is how your experience was as well. Do you have pictures of the bull you killed?

CBender09

I would be interested in more info on the call you have. It probably wouldn't hurt to have it in my arsenal.

That seems to match a lot of what I have heard and read. Getting out and scouting is more an effort to learn the country and get in shape than it is to find a specific bull and pattern him. It sounds like that is how your experience was as well. Do you have pictures of the bull you killed?
There are some pics in the “Moose-Let’s see them” thread, I posted a couple weeks ago.
DM me about the call if you’d like

Wild Alaskan Salmon Seafood

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Salazar