Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho Moose Hunt Scouting

smarandr

Hi All,

My dad and I both drew on the same moose tag in central Idaho this fall. We've started doing a little scouting and found this guy one evening. Obviously it's early in the year and his rack will get larger, but I'm no scoring expert and was wondering if there are some better eyes out there to help judge this one.

Last edited:
He won't get much bigger than he currently is. I was seeing bulls significantly larger than him the last week of may this year. Reallistically I'd guess him as a yearling or two year old bull.

I agree with TheTone, even without the rack you can tell it's a really young bull.

mid idaho moose

I know 3 people that have drawn that tag one shot a 2 or 3 yo bull. Very small paddles and the other two were around 4 yo's not huge but there are some monsters out there good luck hope you both take nice bulls

Thanks for all the input. I've never really been out scouting this early in the year and was unaware that the antlers would be almost fully developed this early. I was hoping he would end up looking a little more like this one I saw last fall while elk hunting. No giant by any means, but a pretty good one for this unit I think.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back