Idaho Limited ELk Hunts.....??

Horn Seeker

Just curious what you ID boys think is the sweetest limited tag for elk. I am putting in for one this year, super low odds of course, just like my dream 45 late deer tag. Especially for a nonres.

I am immediately considering the 59A rifle tag for elk, but thought I'd ask if there was an obvious better choice for a big bull unit!

Thanks all,

Ernie

My family owns property in 59a, I have hunted it my whole hunting career.

You can do better for a big bull tag.

Look at the late tag for 60a, I think your chance at a big bull is pretty good with this one. It isn't your typical hunt, most of it would be in high desert sagebrush when the elk move towards winter range.

If your looking for a hunt that is in the mountains with timber ect ect 59a is probably a better choice.

If I could draw a tag, I would go for the unit 40 early hunt. Only 5 tags but it runs during the rut. Some big old boys have been taken in that unit on this particular hunt. According to the drawing odds page, no non-residents were drawn but there is a later hunt for the same unit, 40 tags, and 4 non-res drawn. Also check out unit 44. It looks like it would be a good one to get too. Just a thought.

yes 59a is it. I hunt deer in the lodge every year, Our ranch is off of I-15 about 3 miles south of the montana line.

Depending on what and if you have info on an area. There is 44 the early hunt. 48, 49, 50 and 36-a all have some nice bulls. I try to draw in 36-a. I have been in all these units and all are draw hunts. Very nice bulls in each one.

That is sweet country Michael. I love it. Hunt bears in there in the spring the last couple years and hunted elk on the MT side of 61 across the street. Love it.

You ever see good bucks in there?

I am going to scour the pamphlets, but I am still all ears. Thanks for any advice. Does Idaho have an area where there is a proponderance of 330+ bulls, or even 350+ bulls? to be had with a special tag? I have to say, I really dont know a lot about elk quality in Idaho. I know there are alot of big bulls taken each year, but it doesnt seem like they are from any particular place!

I know there are alot of big bulls taken each year, but it doesnt seem like they are from any particular place!

Thats because there are just as many good bulls in the general season. All the Draw tags are good for is to get then closer to the roads for ya :D :D

I thought you were one of the montana boys that was going back into 27 area this year ?

I dont think I have time to go into 27. I dont really want an elk tag, unless I can draw a gooden. If I cant draw a gooden, I"ll buy a deer tag instead! Is 27 where you sheep hunted? I still keep that in mind, but its going to be another year.

my sweet spot.

i like to get a general tag for unit 20a,26,and 27 .. there are both a and b tags
but both are great. I have seen trophy elk in these areas while hiking in the frank church wilderness area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back