Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho Hells Canyon archery 2022

My parents did just that in their car, late fall, cold and windy. Turned around and ran into 17 trees across the road trying to get back out. Being in the car they didn't have crap for tools. Dad had to break, drag, or "cut" them with a tire-iron and rock. Took 8 hrs.
Yep, an axe and shovel at a minimum. I always carry a chain saw. It may be down hill all the way to Imnaha, but it would be a hell of a hike.

A 2-3 day pack out is worth all the efforts. There shan’t be a canyon you wouldn’t shoot an elk..

You ain’t the kinda fella to take the easy way anyhow, I noticed.. if it wasn’t an 8 hour drive I’d be quick to hike in and help you lug one out. Good luck partner
I don't think an elk would last a 2-3 day packout in the current heat. The goats sound like a great option if time allows.

Nice country.

Been to Hat Point, lots of down from there, steeeeep down! Beautiful scenery, only like 5000 ft or something like that to the river that can easily be seen.

I have a couple goats I will be taking along so that will be some help if duckslayer is unavailable with more.
The first spot we scouted was a 10.1 mile hike with over 5500 ft of elevation gain/loss. which ended up being a little further than we expected. We ran into 2 groups of bachelor bulls right where we expected to find them which was satisfying but the pack out is not something we really want to take on. We were gonna stay up there 2 nights scouting the area but after we realized it might not be a smart move logistically to hunt these elk we decided to only stay one night and hike out in the morning to go scout plan B. We saw a nice billy as we started the hike out in the morning unfortunately no pics as he wandered into some trees never to be seen again. Ended up hiking 20.2 miles in 25 hours. Hopped in truck and drove up to Riggins and got a room. Next morning we got up early and headed up the mountain to plan B spot. We hiked about 3 miles out one trail that had an abundance of elk sign and spoke to a fire tower worker who showed us pics of a big herd he has been seeing regularly from the tower. From this spot we can hike 11 miles across ridgetops to another trailhead and have trucks parked on both ends. We liked the area a lot and this is probably what we will do to start. We know we have the other spot in our back pocket and we all agreed we may go in there to try for one elk if we need to.

Truly amazing country. Very excited about exploring it more with bows in hand.

20220820_065404.jpg20220821_101609.jpg20220819_160535.jpg20220819_162327.jpg20220819_192406.jpg

Ive hunted elk and 2 mule deer tags in that unit in the last 8 years, its definitely some steep ass country and will humble you fast. One thing I have learned is you dont have to kill yourself going deep here to find elk unless you got stock. There are more places you can dive in right from the truck and be chasing bulls

One of the guys in our hunting group is retired so he arrived in Riggins last night and is hunting/scouting some areas until the rest of us arrive. Today he had multiple bulls bugling. He said "multiple bulls bugling this morning deep, deep, deep did I mention deep down in a canyon, I figured I'd save them for you and Jason". Haha.
He did get one grouse for dinner and saw a few cow elk. Lots of humanoid activity by where he is because of labor day. Said the people were starting to empty out around 4pm tho. Also said its pretty smoky from a couple new fires. He will continue to do short hike scouting hunts this week until we get there on Saturday night.

You’re going to have a lot of smoke from the Hat Point fire, although I expect you’re south from that.

Good writing, good pictures, this is how you report on a trip.
Hells Canyon is beautiful and treacherous, like a woman.
Good luck to the whole team, can’t wait to see them picks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back