Idaho Fish and Game expands bag limits for bears, cougars

Ithaca 37

"The Idaho Fish and Game Commission has increased the number of black bears and cougars that can be killed in one hunting unit to help stop the elk population´s decline along the North Fork of the Clearwater River."

It always surprises me that the hunters who are so alarmed about wolves and claim they'd like to shoot them all aren't even concerned enough about bears and cougars to go out and hunt them. Now they have an opportunity to get two of each! If they're not going to take advantage of that, do you suppose they'll try to get a wolf?

If you're concerned about declines in the elk population do you think you can help more by shooting two cougars and two bears or by waiting for the chance, someday, to kill one wolf?
biggrin.gif

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Extras/IdahoOutdoors/story.asp?ID=35802

Go to Pierce, Idaho. Hunt any ridges between there and Kelly Creek. Drive the logging roads and walk out to any side ridges and find vantage points to watch from anytime after 3 PM. Most bears will come from the bottoms of the draws, so get into places where you can look into the bottom third of the opposite hillside.

Watch out for wolves and grizzlys.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Don't shoot any sows with cubs. You'll see hound hunters around. Get to know them and they'll might tree a bear for you to shoot.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-22-2003 11:44: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

If there is still snow on the ground, glass right along the snow line. The fresh grass and other soft vegitation is the prime diet in the spring for bears just coming outta the den. They will graze the snow line like a cow.

Ithaca, I hunt the slides on the west side of the Yellowpine road north of warm lake. Lots of bears if you can get in before the season closes. If we have hard winter I can't get back there early enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back