MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Elk

I have family and friends in every state in the west and they would take Idaho's system in a heart beat.

If Idaho implemented a points system, more of our OTC areas would eventually become controlled hunts. Every tom dick and harry from outside of Idaho would start applying just to get in on the ground floor. Next thing you know hunting every year in a good area with family would be a thing of the past.

Then we better make good use of that "premium" tag we hope to draw in 5-10yrs because it could be a long wait until we see another, let alone our kids and grand kids that would be SOL.

But hey, if it gets some selfish person into unit 45 for deer quicker (which it won't) and a few more inches of antler then the hell with the next generation. What do we need them for anyway?

What's more "fair" than a random draw. If you want a guaranteed tag, you can buy otc, if you want a "premium" tag you can hope you draw. With a little research you can improve the odds. If you consistantly put in for the hardest to draw unit, you probably won't draw very often. Some people have good luck, some not so much. I've only drawn one tag in my 35+ years of hunting that wasn't an undersubscribed hunt, but I still get to hunt every year. Why do people want to fix what aint broke?

I can only speak for myself. A random draw would mean less hunting for me. I only hunt the unit I live in, and it's not a high point unit. I'm too old to wait for me to get lucky in a random draw.

Trophy units hold no interest for me.

What's more "fair" than a random draw. If you want a guaranteed tag, you can buy otc, if you want a "premium" tag you can hope you draw. With a little research you can improve the odds. If you consistantly put in for the hardest to draw unit, you probably won't draw very often. Some people have good luck, some not so much. I've only drawn one tag in my 35+ years of hunting that wasn't an undersubscribed hunt, but I still get to hunt every year. Why do people want to fix what aint broke?

I did a little math using Utah and Idaho as an example of why states like point systems. I used bonus point only applications and draw applications combined with license fees and app fees -3 dollars.

Utah made $2,921,995 off the deer draw in 2015 for Resident permits 1325 and 122 Non Resident permits.

Idaho made $619,479.5 off of the deer draw in 2015 for 1210 Resident permits and 642 Non Resident permits. (A majority of the NR permits came in the units with unlimited permits)

Utah makes almost 5 times as much as Idaho and gave out 395 less permits in the draw.

Maths

Utah
  • Utah Resident Bonus Point Only - 4,100 apps
  • Utah Non Resident Bonus Point Only - 9,104 apps
  • Utah Resident Draw - 35,530 apps
  • Utah Non Resident Draw -11,332 apps
  • Utah Resident License Fee - $25
  • Utah Non Resident License Fee - $65
  • Utah App Fee - $10 (-$3) = $7
  • Utah Resident Premium Tag Fee - $180
  • Utah Resident Premium Tag Permits - 204 permits
  • Utah Non Resident Premium Tag Fee - $568
  • Utah Non Resident Premium Tag Permits- 21 permits
  • Utah Resident Limited Entry Tag Fee - $80
  • Utah Resident Limited Entry Tag Permits - 1121 permits
  • Utah Non Resident Limited Entry Tag Fee - $468
  • Utah Non Resident Limited Entry Tag Permits- 121 permits

Idaho
  • Resident Hunting License -$12.75
  • Non Resident Hunting License- 154.75
  • Resident App Fee-$6.25 (-$3) = $3.35
  • Non Resident App Fee- $14.75 (-$3) = $11.75
  • Resident Tag Fee- $19.75
  • Resident Permits- 1210 Tags
  • Non Resident Tag Fee- $301.75
  • Non Resident Permits- 642 tags

This is the reason why most states adapt to a bonus point system. To apply to Utah it only costs you $75 for deer only as a non resident. To apply to Idaho it costs you $475.25 as a non resident.

I wouldn't say that Utah's system is any fairer than Idaho's system or visa versa, because from a certain point of view you can look at each and say they are reasonably fair in a certain way.

I can say there is certainly a benefit from the state monetary side of things as far as Utah goes.

I drew a tag with 4.2% draw odds my first year applying for Idaho and my partner draw a tag with <2% draw odds in our first year applying...I don't see the problem?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back