Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Elk help needed

MNElkNut

So I just found out my cousin is moving to Boise. We would like to start doing some research on where to go hunt an elk. I have studied the Idaho G&F website (hunt planner, etc) and although it helps, it is hard to get a feel for the area without the human element.

We are both experienced, ethical hunters (athough he hasnt hunted elk). We are not afraid to walk in off the roads....we plan on hunting 1-4 miles off the road. No road hunting for us, I want the experience, not a cheap one. We do not have access to horses so I want to be somewhat reasonable in terms of where we hunt and the steepness of the terrain. To be sure, I am NOT expecting gentle topography, but I dont want to set myself up on a death march either (I am 41 doggone years old now!). Our dads might come out....they are in their 60s...so that may be a consideration. Bow or gun? yeah, bow or gun, we havent decided yet. I will be coming from MN, so I for sure wont have time to do a lot of scouting. He has young kids and I dont think he will be able to do a lot of scouting either with a new job and all. I know it would be awesome if he could, but that isnt in the cards. I should add, this hunt will truly be in the spirit of an On Your Own Adventure.

One question.....and I am bracing for the answer....what is the wolf range? Are them dang things decimating the herd everywhere or just in some areas?

Any help, assistance, or advice anyone could provide would surely be appreciated.

Last edited:
idahowolfmap.jpg

To answer the wolf Question...

Don't worry about the wolves, your inexperience is your biggest hurdle! (grin) Unit 39 is a very quality unit, it's got decent elk & deer numbers. I would consider areas from Idaho city to Bogus Basin to Arrowrock Res. that's a huge area with scouting needed physically if possible as well as Topos & Google earth. With those in mind you can easily narrow down & isolate some very good areas!

ElkNut1

I hunted Idaho 6 years in a row as a non-res. My two cents......don't bother with the Selway or the southern pan-handle west of Lolo Pass. Don't worry about the wolves; yes there are many but so what. If I were to go back I would again hunt the Middle Fork (units 20A, 26, 27) north of Stanley ID.

Some very good info guys, thanks and I will continue my research.

How about camping...can you camp anywhere? And how about 4 wheeler rules? Anywhere? Roads only? As stated, I dont want to road hunt at all. I am thinking if there are Idaho rules about limiting 4 wheelers, we might want to check out those areas.

As for the wufs, well, that map sure answered that question! I was thinking that given no ties to any area we could just as well avoid them, but I see that is impossible so I wont worry about them.

Ya know, the more I learn, the more excited I get!

There are bills working their way through the legislature that could change the ATV rules so you may want to wait and see about those. That said there are a lot of places to hunt that ATV's are either not allowed by the federal travel plans of they simply can't get there. Camping is regulated by the USFS or BLM depending on where you are at. For the most part if you pack in just plan on finding a flat spot and check the fire restrictions. As for the wolves, have everybody buy 2 tags and hope you don't see more than you have tags for. Since you said you may have some older guys with you this site may help you look up some trails to use as they may not like bushwacking as well. http://www.trails.idaho.gov/
When you get an idea of where you want to head let us know and we may be able to help out some more.

First tell your cousin to only bring 1 snow shovel. As a transplanted Minnesotan I'm thrilled with the general lack of winter. Send me a PM if your cousin might need help with anything.
Elk hunting is still very good despite the bad press Idaho is getting related to wolf numbers. Stanley basin has decent access, unit 39 is really diverse and big and fairly close to Boise so the scouting aspect might be easier, McCall zone has good access..............how far do you want to go???
When will he move here......thinking scouting/exploring time?
WD

WallyDog,
Many thanks for the offer and I will pass it on to him! How far will we go? Heck, I don't know! 3- 4 hours or so from Boise? I would think? Closer of course better..? he will be there in a couple weeks and start his new job. His family is going to stay here until they sell their house (he is not looking forward to spending time away from his 2 young boys). He knows one couple out there...that is it.

He is busy remodeling his bathroom here so he can sell his house.

So I am confused on a license question. In last year's info (this years is not out yet), it says that for a particular zone XXX number of A Tag licenses will go on sale for residents on July XX, 2011 and for nonresidents Dec XX 2010....that is not a typo...2011 for residents and 2010 for nonres. So assuming the dates are approximately the same, I, as a nonres, could buy my tag OTC right now while residents would have to wait?

Going off memory here, but I think that sounds like the rifle rut hunt in the Selway.

There are a limited number of tags for residents and non residents and because of logistics they open the door for NR earlier. I also remember neither of these tags selling that fast as it is a wilderness hunt which prohibits many.

So I am confused on a license question. In last year's info (this years is not out yet), it says that for a particular zone XXX number of A Tag licenses will go on sale for residents on July XX, 2011 and for nonresidents Dec XX 2010....that is not a typo...2011 for residents and 2010 for nonres. So assuming the dates are approximately the same, I, as a nonres, could buy my tag OTC right now while residents would have to wait?

Yes, but you'd be silly to do so unless you don't plan on applying for any controlled hunts.

The number in bold is tags available. There are plenty left. Looks like about 500 elk tags solid of the 10000 plus available.

I think the rule is you get either an A tag (favors archery) or a B tag (favors rifle). I think on top of that you can then apply for a controlled hunt or get a second tag in some cases.

Yes, as a resident you can purchase both types, A-Tag & B-Tag or two of either one-- The 2nd tag will cost you the N/R price! This is as long as there are N/R tags left over which there generally are, you can obtain it Aug 1st but not before!

ElkNut1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back