Idaho Elk 10a

RunNGun

My buddy and I have an elk hunt planned for the Last two weeks of September in unit 10a. We have one game plan in mind, but want to have some more options. Any pros/cons for Potlatch properties? I just started looking into reaching out to a biologist or someone willing to talk about herds or possible areas to look into. Any advice or comments are appreciated. We are very hard hunters(mountain turkey hunters) and in good shape, but have never elk hunted. My buddy has with an outfitter. We are heading out ourselves.

Thanks!

RunNGun - I've never elk hunted in 10a so I'm no help there but I am headed to that unit this spring to fish for smallmouth in Dworshak. You mentioned you're a mountain turkey hunter, is that something you've previously done in 10a? I'm playing around with the idea of buying an OTC bear tag to have while I'm fishing. Do you (or anyone else that reads this) have familiarity with 10a in terms of spring bear hunting? If so, I'm trying to get a sense of how realistic it is to glass and hunt bears from the water in my boat. I've found threads on the forum where guys mention boat-in hunting on Dworshak for elk and whitetail but I haven't found anything in regards to bear hunting specifically. Not sure if you or your buddy have a boat but maybe this tactic is also an option for you guys.

Lots of 10a is heavily logged and roaded and getting worse in that regard all the time, especially Potlatch lands. Expect company and guys just riding around on ATV's, riding up on you, etc; although probably not as bad in archery season as during rifle. Lots of variance in the unit from farm fields to steep nasty country as well. My family hunted one spot for over 20 years and it certainly isn't now what it was in the early 90's.

Husker marine And TheTone- I should have clarified when I said mountains. We are from southern Ohio and hunt the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee. Nonetheless it’s miles on foot up and down. I have never hunted out west and have never been in Idaho 10A. I am looking for insight on the lay of the land as my buddy hunted Lolo in 2017. We thought s would be a good option for us to try. We have considered a boat hunt on the reservoir but not sure how many hunter would be out there.

Considering the fact you say it is logged and getting worse, we will have to do more calling aroundto see what’s been recently/currently logged I guess.

Would you say there is huntable elk in Potlatch around the reservoir? I have my sidebyside but not sue it it is worth hauling out there.

Hunting potlatch will be your best bet around there although there is also some good FS and state land interspersed; 10A is a strange unit. I used to fight fire out of Elk River, there are miles and miles of road access which is good and bad. Elk are out there but alot of the land is re-prod. I would give up on the boat idea to be honest unless you're looking for a day to break on beating feet.

Have you ever visited the area or know what it looks like in pictures? Not sure if you have much experience on google maps differentiating between more mature stands of timber and plantations / reprod? I'd be up there trying to get behind gates and avoiding all the 4 wheeler traffic, hitting ridges and trying to locate. It's hard to be helpful, the elk are out there but it's a lot of country with a lot of craphole nooks and crannies for them to hang out.

Just remember the Dent Road is the dividing line 8A on the west and 10A on the east side of the road. Just have reasonable expectations and enjoy the time out there its a really nice piece of country I miss it out there.

My buddy and I have an elk hunt planned for the Last two weeks of September in unit 10a. We have one game plan in mind, but want to have some more options. Any pros/cons for Potlatch properties? I just started looking into reaching out to a biologist or someone willing to talk about herds or possible areas to look into. Any advice or comments are appreciated. We are very hard hunters(mountain turkey hunters) and in good shape, but have never elk hunted. My buddy has with an outfitter. We are heading out ourselves.

Thanks!
RunNGun would really like an update on your hunt. Hopefully your area didn't get burned out. Im in the same boat, so to speak, have B tag for 10a. I did some scouting around the HQ and Potlatch area, mostly driving the roads and walking up a few ridges. Being new to the area, I have no idea what kind of or how much pressure this area receives with traffic. Good luck and if you have any advice after would appreciate any help. First time elk hunter here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back