PEAX Equipment

Idaho Diamondcreek Grizz Sow and 2 cubs

Preston.W_HDO

Anyone else have information on this?

My dads buddy that hunts with a different camp came across a couple grizz tracks just north of Georgetown. He also talked with two nonresident hunters that had pics of the sow and 2 cubs.

Anyone know the hunters?

Dads family has been hunting the area since mid 80s. Never heard of any crossing over. Or sightings till now.43998E8F-6D59-4231-B2C3-CB7872F97382.jpeg

My dads buddy that hunts with a different camp came across a couple grizz tracks just north of Georgetown. He also talked with two nonresident hunters that had pics of the sow and 2 cubs.

Anyone know the hunters?

Dads family has been hunting the area since mid 80s. Never heard of any crossing over. Or sightings till now.View attachment 210519
I spent all October in there and didn't see any sign, but it doesn't surprise me.

Anyone know the hunters?

Dads family has been hunting the area since mid 80s. Never heard of any crossing over. Or sightings till now.View attachment 210519
Is that not a black bear track?

I spent all October in there and didn't see any sign, but it doesn't surprise me.
Yea I had been in there all September and October helping buddies out with their elk tag they drew. Didn’t see any sign.

Buddy in September was bluff charged by a black bear but that’s all we have seen in there.

It also surprises me that they would be as far south as Georgetown without any other sightings further north.
They seen sightings in 66a this past spring from what I’ve heard but that’s the only other time I have heard

Black bear track i believe, doesnt surprise if there is griz in that area but thats not her track. I can guarantee you if there is one there idaho g&f will definitely deny it! Not sure why they have this approach but experiance says its a policy of some sort, most do it.

Toe line is easiest way to determine, size also helps but pocs dont define that
I’m definitely not an expert on bears lol can’t judge them to save my life either.

Drew a good unit this past spring for bear killed what I thought was mediocre. Ended up going 19-3/8 lol

I didn’t think it was rounded enough for a black. I could be wrong
So typically griz will he slightly more rounded toes, blacks slightly more oval. By toe line what we mean is make a straight line across bottom of both outer toes on front paw, if that line crosses clearly thru the pad its a black if it stays on front of pad its a griz. Here a pic from this fall that shows up good in mud. Also if you find a griz track its usually significantly larger.KIMG0169.JPG

ahhh ok. Thanks guys. Like I said I’m ignorant with bears.

He texted this to me and then called and told me the story.

I’d like to see the pics from the NRs that got the photo

I will add theres a significant population of color phase blacks in that area that could easily be mistaken. Many people dont understand black bears come in all colors and some even have pronounced humps. It would be pretty easy for a goober from Illinois or simular place that has never seen a bear to think griz if a color phase sow had the right sunlight shining on her or if he only got quick glimpse. If a tourist in Yellowstone wants to see a wolf, guess what they see when a coyote runs by....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back