Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Bull

TheTone

I'll finally get around to the story of the bull my dad got last Tuesday. We woke up early Tuesday morning to a hard rain and decided there was no sense in getting soaked on the second day, since we were going to be in for the entire first week. It had quit raining by about noon or so and things were looking alright to at least get out and look around that afternoon. My cousin, uncle and I decided to head off to a place that was logged a couple years back since there are some skid trails that have filled in nicely with grass and we figured we might catch something out feeding after the rain plus we wouldn't have to get too wet in the process. My dad and mom decided to hunt right in behind camp, which I honestly thought was a dumb idea as there just aren't the elk in the area there was even 5 years ago. Him and mom were walking an old road back into a basin where dad has shot I believe 5 bulls now when a cow came down over the hill right into the road with them, she then barked really loud and went back into the draw she came out of. Knowing the area really well dad went up a side trail on the opposite side of the cow and started scanning the hillside where the cow went as well as above him. He said he was looking up the hill moving from left to right when he spotted an elk butt and a piece of antler. He got a rest on a stump that was right there (he somehow always has a stump available, don't ask me how that works) and let his 35 Whelen do the rest. Not a bad little Idaho bull and he's happy with it. It has some character with its weird curving beams and I think I'll quit doubting using the old reliable spot a little more as everytime I give him hell for going there he seems to come out with a bull.

Attachments

• PA110110resize.jpg
    PA110110resize.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 258
  • PA110111resize.jpg
    PA110111resize.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 257
Thanks guys. Since I started archery hunting a few years back I've had to miss out on some of our old fashioned family hunts which is kind of a bummer, so this year I had some time and decided I should go to camp and play guide/hang out and it was really nice. That and its nice to have some 24yr old legs around to pack meat for the old man. I still hunt plenty with dad, I make him play guide while I archery hunt and there is always deer season when we try and hit the woods as often as schedules allow. In a way I kinda miss rifle hunting elk, but september bugling bulls are a darn nice trade off.

Not a bad little Idaho bull and he's happy with it.
And that is what it is all about. :) I am happy for him and think it is a nice bull as well.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back