MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho bighorn sheep hunt prep

rfra

I was lucky enough to draw a bighorn tag in Idaho this year. It was quite unexpected, as one of those tags I put in for "just in case". We are very excited about the hunt. Honestly, I don't know much about sheep and so I'm trying to absorb as much as I can. Wondering if people can offer up some recommended books, podcasts, forum stories, etc. to advance my knowledge?

My hunt is deep in the Frank Church Wilderness. I am fortunate to own a plane and do some backcountry flying, so we intend to fly in for 1-2 scouting backpack trips this summer. My wife and my 15 year old son intend to join me on the hunt so we'll likely charter a flight for the actual hunt as my plane wont carry that much.

I know that this will be a physically demanding hunt. We expect 6+ miles of backpacking from airstrips to base camp and 4,000' of elevation gain, with very few water options at elevation. Hauling water will be a significant concern. We're working on conditioning as a high priority.

We have quality backpacking gear, boots, etc already. I am considering adding a teepee to avoid carrying two separate shelters though.

I have a Tikka Lite Roughtech in 6.5 PRC that I love and that will be my gun for the hunt. I'm considering adding a bipod due to the open terrain and possibility of longer shots.

I am planning on a 65mm spotter, for longer distance viewing. This is not a "trophy" or age-restricted hunt so I don't need great detail.

What should I be thinking about? Gear I shouldn't overlook? Where can I learn more about sheep behavior and how to look for them?

Not sure what unit you’ll be in but I’ve spent a little time in 27. I think your awareness about water is good. We couldn’t find any up high. That country is steep! Any weight you can shed without it endangering you or your hunt you’ll thank yourself for later.

Attachments

• 646C7AB3-EA8D-4223-90EF-7D5F4A05F83A.jpeg
    646C7AB3-EA8D-4223-90EF-7D5F4A05F83A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • F6E91219-BF33-45B1-BAFD-259A7F5D7645.jpeg
    F6E91219-BF33-45B1-BAFD-259A7F5D7645.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 3F2BCCDF-4C45-429C-B75C-4AC84B41F986.jpeg
    3F2BCCDF-4C45-429C-B75C-4AC84B41F986.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • 8D972914-0CCA-4791-80DB-B4F699D43AFB.jpeg
    8D972914-0CCA-4791-80DB-B4F699D43AFB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
It seems that you could learn a lot about the unit with your own airplane.
Hold low on steep shots.
Practice shooting off your backpack.

rfra - how did you fare on your sheep hunt last year. I drew the tag this year and would love to hear about your success or at least any lessons you learned that you'd be willing to share.

MtnElk - thank you for letting me know!
Congrats on the tag! From someone who has had three tags (eaten two), I would recommend that you try to plan on at least two hunts in there if you can swing it - one earlier and then as much of the end of season as you can.

Congrats on the tag! From someone who has had three tags (eaten two), I would recommend that you try to plan on at least two hunts in there if you can swing it - one earlier and then as much of the end of season as you can.
Thank you for the suggestion! Do you run a significant risk of weather late? Is the rut late in the season?

Thank you for the suggestion! Do you run a significant risk of weather late? Is the rut late in the season?
In the Frank Church, you run a significant risk of weather at anytime. The attached photo was taken on September 16.

I don’t think the rut is actually until well after your season ends. If it is hot, my experience has been that you are not going to see the sheep moving much during the day, except at first light and right before dark. Once it cools down, that changes.

Disclosure - none of my tags were in your hunt area but all were nearby. Success was high in your area last year so that might impact this year’s hunt. Nevertheless, you are in for a heck of an experience. The planning is a big part of it (my wife hates the planning).

IMG_8360.jpeg

In the Frank Church, you run a significant risk of weather at anytime. The attached photo was taken on September 16.

I don’t think the rut is actually until well after your season ends. If it is hot, my experience has been that you are not going to see the sheep moving much during the day, except at first light and right before dark. Once it cools down, that changes.

Disclosure - none of my tags were in your hunt area but all were nearby. Success was high in your area last year so that might impact this year’s hunt. Nevertheless, you are in for a heck of an experience. The planning is a big part of it (my wife hates the planning).

View attachment 276914
That's an awesome photo! Probably more fun to look at than it was to wake up to! Thank you for the input! I never imagined I'd actually be planning for this hunt!

Back