Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho Bear Question

rickyrebar

Random question fella's... has anyone ever hunted bear back on the 5428 road (near Long Creek) which branches off of the Trout Creek / (Co Rd 250) road (on the Montana side, which loops back into Idaho)?
I spent the weekend up there (first time), saw some really good looking meadows that attracted me, but not even a hint of bear sign or possible forage that might support bears.
Lots of whitetails but no yogi's.
Curious whether I was just unlucky and if I wasted my time based on my gut opinion that the area looked "beary"... for future reference.
Thanks.

I know the MT side has bear in the area.

I would not rule it out based on one weekend trip if it looked good.

I hunt areas I know hold bears and don't see them more then half my trips. Maybe 20% of my bear hunts produce a visual. Not seeing any sign is not good though - I usually see a lot more scat then I see bears.

Considering the time of year they might be on to other food sources and not focusing on grass. Consider the elevation and find nearby wintering grounds. I'm not even close to an expert but it seems like they focus on winterkill after the spring green-up in my areas.

If it looked good and felt "beary" I would give it two or even three tries before I cross an area off the list - maybe even four. Spot and stalk bear can be slow going.

Hopefully some Idaho guys know the area a bit better and chime in.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I have had fair success in the general bear season in WA. St., spring bear out here is draw only, seems like every other year I draw a spring tag. This year being the off year I decided to try Idaho. I am really not accustom to seeing no sign in an area that my gut tells me they should thrive, but wasn'st sure. What you're saying makes perfect sense, I have gone weeks at a stretch and never seen a bear... but I know they are there.
I know the MT side has bear in the area.

I would not rule it out based on one weekend trip if it looked good.

I hunt areas I know hold bears and don't see them more then half my trips. Maybe 20% of my bear hunts produce a visual. Not seeing any sign is not good though - I usually see a lot more scat then I see bears.

Considering the time of year they might be on to other food sources and not focusing on grass. Consider the elevation and find nearby wintering grounds. I'm not even close to an expert but it seems like they focus on winterkill after the spring green-up in my areas.

If it looked good and felt "beary" I would give it two or even three tries before I cross an area off the list - maybe even four. Spot and stalk bear can be slow going.

Hopefully some Idaho guys know the area a bit better and chime in.

Good luck!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back