Idaho activity

Idahoarcheryhunter

Well things were pretty slow for the most part until this morning, headed to my usual starting point in the morning to glass some feeding areas but as I got my tripod set up I thought I heard a bugle, figured my mind was playing tricks on me went back to hitting the glass NOW I heard it not 300 yards below the sweet sounds of September, I almost sat there and just enjoyed the sound.. Almost grabbed my bow and calls and dropped the couple 100 feet down to the bull ended up calling him into 52 yards.. With no shot nothing but limbs in the way I could see his antlers though small 6 point gotta love this time of year good luck to everyone!

I leave this coming sunday. I finally convinced my dad to come with and my hunting partner convinced his dad also. 1st elk hunt for both of our dads so I really hope we can get them to connect with one. We've got 2 weeks to try and put 4 elk down. My dad has been training all summer for this. Our plan is to get our dad's on elk and then worry about ourselves.

We'll have a blast no matter what spending some time with our Dads.

Slow since the opener. As of Friday night the bulls were not with the cows yet in the area I hunt. Hoping the cool, wet weather from the rest of the weekend helps things pickup. Seeing lots of signs and hearing some cows with a rare bugle, but nothing serious yet. I have some competition in one of the wallows I hunt.
bear2.jpgbear5.jpglion1.jpglion2.jpg

We were out in our unit Friday scouting and the Bulls weren't with cows yet, but were very vocal. October 1st seems so far away. ��

Cold rain flipped the switch Sunday night and bulls kept us awake at all hours. Stuck a 5pt chasing a cow yesterday morning as we were stalking another bull that was bugling a raking. Good luck out there.

Cold rain flipped the switch Sunday night and bulls kept us awake at all hours. Stuck a 5pt chasing a cow yesterday morning as we were stalking another bull that was bugling a raking. Good luck out there.

Flatlander! Woke Monday to 4+in of snow. No mountain serenade for me though. Congrats on the bull!

Spent opening week in Diamond Creek zone. Heard less than 10 bugles and saw a handful of elk. Stalked in to.80 yards in a nice 5x5 and that was my only chance. Found good wallows, but seemed too hot and the elk were not hearded up at all

bulls defiantly seem to be picking up all over the state talking with friends, couple bulls hitting the ground going back up Saturday and Sunday to see if I can outsmart the ole wapiti, the best month of the year is upon us :hump:

Sawtooth tags here. Aug 31st we saw two good 6 pt. bulls that both had cows and were bugling lots. The bigger of the two bulls had close to 30 cows already. We ended up moving about 20 miles away the following day and only heard two bulls bugle the rest of the week. We did manage to call in 6 bulls that all came in silent and were able to stick a 6 pt and a 4 pt. None of them had any cows. Not sure if the fires had anything to do with some of them rutting already or not.

I have been out the past two weekends in south central CO high country (10,000'+) and haven't heard a bugle yet, but did have two close encounters with young bulls. Hoping to get out one more time and get lucky.

Can't wait to get out there. Leaving sunday afternoon and driving until i get there (18hrs). Then will be putting boots to ground the rest of the day after i get there. All I've thought about all week..............and the week before that.:D

Can't wait to get out there. Leaving sunday afternoon and driving until i get there (18hrs). Then will be putting boots to ground the rest of the day after i get there. All I've thought about all week..............and the week before that.:D

Not sure where you are headed but in Boise we have some cooler rain coming through this week. Should be a perfect time to be out in the elk woods. Of course it's supposed to warm up again when I head out next Friday. Good luck

Well Sunday morning was very quiet, had one bull respond to my locator bugle about 20 minutes before it was light and that was it very quiet all day never even saw an elk, anybody have similar experiences from this weekend?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back