Idaho, 20A..Frank Church Wilderness

kroppr_77

So I drew the controlled tag for mule deer in Idaho, for unit 20a. It was my second choice, and I know that its unlimited in tag numbers. I was hoping to hot this hut in early November, along with a Colorado archery elk tag in September, to be my two hunts for the year. I'm researching a lot about the Church, and have wanted to go there for a while for the adventure.
In researching the unit I've been somewhat confused mainly on the presence of grizzly bears? I know that it's part of their historical "Bitterroot range," what I can't find is if there is a sustainable population of bears there? I find a few articles that bears pass through once a while, but I'm confused on if there a population there. I am hunting solo most likely so I probably won't pick the tag up if there is a large amount of bears there.
For the roads to get to the unit, are they in decent shape to get in and out? I want to go in pretty deep, but want to get my vehicle out for the drive home haha. I know snow won't be super uncommon in November.
Also if you have anything you want to share like stories, or does and donts on the unit I'd love to hear it.
Thanks in advance

Not sure what roads you’re looking at but the vast majority of the unit is declared wilderness and roadless. The road down the salmon river across from 20a can be really bad at different times throughout the year

Not sure what roads you’re looking at but the vast majority of the unit is declared wilderness and roadless. The road down the salmon river across from 20a can be really bad at different times throughout the year

That road can be really bad in the best of weather!

Get in shape. Carry chains and extra gas. You have to cross two summits to get to the grade dropping in to the South Fork. If you want to go on towards Big Creek you’ll have to cross another one.

I've hunted 20A alot back in my younger days out of McCall and always in Sept. The late 20A hunt was created for hunting the Salmon River or South Fork of the Salmon with a jet boat or float trip. Mackay Bar is the outfitter that works the area. You really shouldn't try and drive back there in November, roads become impassable easily with snow.

Last edited:
Western Ways Productions has a pretty neat video on YouTube about a late season pack raft hunt in 20A. I don’t like water so I think I would just buy a general tag and forget about the controlled hunt.

Kroppr, dude you had me thinking about this last night... i am not trying to rain on your parade, actually worried you could get in over your head so more of a safety thing. I dont know your experiance level so i assume minimal, Wisconsin gets cold but not idaho dangerous. Disclaimer i dont know that part of frank well, i know the east side of the frank pretty good. I think you are taking some of the simplest and biggest things forgranted: i left last year in snow storm oct 24ish on a "mine maintained" road with chains on and in 4low for 25 miles to get out before was to deep. I was up around 6500feet at camp, going thru pass sucked! The only place not buried was the river road, storm may have passed but that snow stayed all winter. I would highly recommend to stick to river, maybe see if mckay bar can ferry you to drop camp or bring your own raft if you have group. Bring a PLB or sat communicator! Camp low and venture up daily; hope for best but plan for worse.... be safe

Just meant getting to the wilderness itself, I know its roadless. Should've clarified.

I appreciate it @ccc23454 . I'm not taking this lightly at all. I know this is as serious as it gets in the lower 48, but the sense of adventure basically is what I'm looking for. I'm calling regional people at fish and game, and if it seems undoable I 'm not too arrogant to recognize that. I really plan on parking in the safest place I can, and then snowshoeing in miles on the mine roads before I even get to hunting, and then climbing from there. Plan to hunt/hike for 6 or 7 full days.

I hunted that tag in 2018. There is usually a light amount of snow at elevations of about 6500’. The deer there don’t really rut hard during that hunt. Spotting a single deer was tough on somedays. The genetics are very poor over there as well. Once you get into the unit you will surely realize that the successful hunters are utilizing resources that your average hunter does not have at their disposal. Horseback hunters can get deep enough to find mature specimens. Hunters paying for an air drop and rafting the river are jeopardizing their well being for a once in a lifetime experience. If you have a hot tent and an a titanium stove you can go deep but you are committing to hunt vast tracts of sterile land.

A general season tag has extremely higher odds of producing larger bucks. The Frank is something you do for the experience. There is a reason you don’t need to check your mapping software to verify you are on public land. It is the steepest nastiest roughest country you will ever encounter in the lower 48. My non resident friends imagined rutting bucks and looking over several groups of deer per day and passing up bucks that didn‘t impress..

Upon setting foot in the unit, they rapidly changed their minds. You will see elk, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, bears, wolves and mountain lions in equal proportions to deer. You will also zombie hike steep terrain without seeing any animal sign at all. Biologists do have reports of grizzly bears in the area but it is highly unlikely to occur. Like .001% chance you will have an encounter.

I appreciate it @ccc23454 . I'm not taking this lightly at all. I know this is as serious as it gets in the lower 48, but the sense of adventure basically is what I'm looking for. I'm calling regional people at fish and game, and if it seems undoable I 'm not too arrogant to recognize that. I really plan on parking in the safest place I can, and then snowshoeing in miles on the mine roads before I even get to hunting, and then climbing from there. Plan to hunt/hike for 6 or 7 full days.

I will echo what everyone else has already said.
Also, snowshoes are less than worthless in early season, unconsolidated, powder snow.

Getting in will likely be easy on October 31, past Warren, it's all steep downhill to the south fork. It will be the coming out were you could get stuck. Several ranches and a runway on the south fork so you'll get out of there. Just not your truck, get it in May. Going in from the Big Ck side is a higher pass and barely gets open some summers. I always hunted 20A in Sept for elk, killed 2 back there in the 80's. Never saw many deer. Better elk unit than deer. If I hunted it again for deer or elk it would be Sept 15th. Get on top on the border with unit 26 is one of the great views on earth. Some years with little snow you might be able to get there on Nov 1. Pilot Peak, I need to return there.

Last edited:
Not anything that hasn't been stated, but I've spent enough time in the Frank that I haven't hunted it in probably 15+ years for deer. And by yourself, that adds a whole different level of potential issues. I get the adventure aspect, however, I would say a general tag can still give you plenty of adventure and better deer hunting...

U could just kayak across the river where stoddard pack bridge used to be and hunt your way up stoddard creek trail.

Following up on your original questions - no grizz in the area.

If you’re hunting the deer tag in November, you need to hunt the deer winter range where they’ll rut. The deer will start moving to the winter range by the end of October.

I normally fly into the Frank. It might be easier for you to research the airstrips and to fly. You won’t have to worry about driving in snow.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back