Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

ID refuses to send wolves to CO, joining WY and MT.

The state only needs to get a handful of wolves on the ground before Dec. 31 to meet their mandated deadline. Vast majority of introductions will occur in the later winter months each year.

DENVER – In a one-year agreement announced today between Colorado Parks and Wildlife and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Oregon will be a source for up to 10 wolves for the Colorado gray wolf reintroduction effort. These wolves will be captured and translocated between December 2023 and March 2024.

Read more
...of course it's Oregon, one ass-backward state enabling another one

One up ya... :ROFLMAO:

Cf_Iye.gif

Figure statistics...

Each wolf accounts for approx 20 elk kills per year.

If the negative effects of Wolves on the environment are so well documented, why doesn’t an entity like RMEF file a lawsuit for an injunction? The Left file lawsuits every time they lose in the legislatures and/or at the ballot box.

If the negative effects of Wolves on the environment are so well documented, why doesn’t an entity like RMEF file a lawsuit for an injunction? The Left file lawsuits every time they lose in the legislatures and/or at the ballot box.
I think there would be a lot of dispute over wolves’ impact on the landscape including ungulates, and agencies (dealing with wolves in a new area) can be very slow to acknowledge or identify what the impact may be.

For example, in parts of NE Oregon, it seems over the years a lot of the remaining deer and elk have moved to lower elevations, to get away from unchecked predators including numerous wolf packs. Thats what I've experienced. But there are a lot of other people who have never hiked where I have for over 30 years, or who have never been to that part of the state (or even live in the state), who believe the predators need to keep multiplying and be protected, for balance.

At the lower elevations, the elk damage farmers’ crops, so ODFW created a months-long OTC cow tag. Locals have had a lot of fun with that one.

Then several months ago in an ODFW commission meeting, a commissioner asked a biologist why the elk seemed to be moving or staying lower elevations.

The biologist said theyre studying why and they didnt yet know, but suggested it could be due to climate change.

Then several months ago in an ODFW commission meeting, a commissioner asked a biologist why the elk seemed to be moving or staying lower elevations.

The biologist said theyre studying why and they didnt yet know, but suggested it could be due to climate change.
In Colorado, it will be slightly different. First a commissioner will blame archery hunters for the elk movement and reduce bowhunters, then the blame will be explained as climate change as a contributing factor. A motion will then be made to enter into a decades long study in an area without wolves.

Last edited:
I think there would be a lot of dispute over wolves’ impact on the landscape including ungulates, and agencies (dealing with wolves in a new area) can be very slow to acknowledge or identify what the impact may be.

For example, in parts of NE Oregon, it seems over the years a lot of the remaining deer and elk have moved to lower elevations, to get away from unchecked predators including numerous wolf packs. Thats what I've experienced. But there are a lot of other people who have never hiked where I have for over 30 years, or who have never been to that part of the state (or even live in the state), who believe the predators need to keep multiplying and be protected, for balance.

At the lower elevations, the elk damage farmers’ crops, so ODFW created a months-long OTC cow tag. Locals have had a lot of fun with that one.

OK, the ODFW biologist is a science denier, so why not file a lawsuit in CO to stop the introduction?

In Colorado, it will be slightly different. First a commissioner will blame archery hunters for the elk movement and reduce bowhunters, then the blame will be explained as climate change as a contributing factor. A motion will then be made to enter into a decades long study in an area without wolves.
I understand the CPW will make arguments in favor of wolf "reintroduction." But my question is: why not take the conversation into a courtroom?

I used to live in CA, and voter initiatives are very prevalent; but so to are the lawsuits to stop initiatives that pass. Sometimes it was because of the lack of science on an issue, sometimes it was because there is another law that contradicts the initiative, and sometimes it was because the ballot initiative was misleading.

Back