ID 2022 Tag Sale

When they proposed these changes my suggestion was to do DAV tags (seperate from quota and without limits) and outfitter tags applications first on 1 december(1 day only) Then a week later do current random line system with any extra outfitter tags already rolled in to quotas. This would both increase tag numbers and decrease demand on system, outfitters would have to book early. If anyone missed the dav/outfitter draw they are SOL and have to go into general pool at general costs to obtain tags and pick from whats avaliable when they look. I also suggested a limit of 1 tag per NR until the summer reissues start just to spread out oppurtunity, get a deer tag or elk tag not both and you set your own priority. I really thought the 1 per would happen cause idaho loves $ and they would sell extra licenses and increase tourism traffic. Until then every 1 December look forward to the complaining including me if i dont get my tags, but since i got mine this year system is perfect as is for now! Lol

When they proposed these changes my suggestion was to do DAV tags (seperate from quota and without limits) and outfitter tags applications first on 1 december(1 day only) Then a week later do current random line system with any extra outfitter tags already rolled in to quotas. This would both increase tag numbers and decrease demand on system, outfitters would have to book early. If anyone missed the dav/outfitter draw they are SOL and have to go into general pool at general costs to obtain tags and pick from whats avaliable when they look. I also suggested a limit of 1 tag per NR until the summer reissues start just to spread out oppurtunity, get a deer tag or elk tag not both and you set your own priority. I really thought the 1 per would happen cause idaho loves $ and they would sell extra licenses and increase tourism traffic. Until then every 1 December look forward to the complaining including me if i dont get my tags, but since i got mine this year system is perfect as is for now! Lol
A huge chunk of outfitter tags go back to the general pool every year, it’s insane how many they are allocated

The dav tags were a non issue for years until seemingly every dav in the country seemed to find out about them and want to come here. The number of them was skyrocketing

Plus if they started each session with one per (deer OR elk) they’d prob have increased$$ through the sell of more licenses (again initially)

The dav tags were a non issue for years until seemingly every dav in the country seemed to find out about them and want to come here. The number of them was skyrocketing
Also the number of qualified DAV significantly increased over the last 20 years. A-lot of those guys are 40+ Now and have the means and ability. As one of them, I agree it should be limited in quantity. I do like the idea of them being a separate time as mentioned earlier in the thread.

It's already basically a random draw. If you got a low number you got a tag. If you got #24,069 you got the shaft more or less.

So why not just make it officially a random draw with no bonus/preference points so we don't have to sit around all day waiting to get our numbers pulled.

A draw would be great if you wanted to introduce the joys and benefits of point creep to another state.
giphy.gif
no not a point system draw. A random draw for nonresident general tags. Idaho needs to stay away from a point system as long as possible

Who is counting down the days to set foot on the hills in the Diamond Creek Zone?!?!
I've been in there several times this year already, although I don't have an elk tag there this year. My boy and I both had rifle tags in Diamond Creek last year. We bear hunted there this spring and have just gone hiking/camping in there this summer. It's a beautiful area.

I've been in there several times this year already, although I don't have an elk tag there this year. My boy and I both had rifle tags in Diamond Creek last year. We bear hunted there this spring and have just gone hiking/camping in there this summer. It's a beautiful area.
How was the bear hunting? I have thought about doing a spring bear hunt there for a few years now. Have you seen many elk while you have been in that area?

How was the bear hunting? I have thought about doing a spring bear hunt there for a few years now. Have you seen many elk while you have been in that area?
The bear hunting was pretty slow, there was quite a bit of snow for a long time and then I got busy and didn't have as much time to devote to it as I needed to. I do have a few areas that I want to set some bait in next year though.

I've seen some elk this summer, but I found last year that you have to be upand glassing really early this time of year because of how hot it is, they hit the dark timber early. I found last year that once mid September hit I could find elk pretty regularly though.

Looks like it's going to be a warm & dry bow season for me. I don't know if I'll be able to camp in my usual spot. Water was scarce there last year, doesn't look like conditions have improved much.

1659628264473.png

Other than turning the tag in, and hitting the gym/trails from now till 9/15/23, what advice do you have for this fool?
You'll have a good time. It will be tough. I don't know how things are with all the fires the last couple of years. I would seriously consider getting flown in and having your meat flown out. Unless you are planning on using horses. It is a long ways to carry meat on your back, especially several trips. There are elk in there but numbers are down and I've heard they are pretty quiet due to wolf population.

You'll have a good time. It will be tough. I don't know how things are with all the fires the last couple of years. I would seriously consider getting flown in and having your meat flown out. Unless you are planning on using horses. It is a long ways to carry meat on your back, especially several trips. There are elk in there but numbers are down and I've heard they are pretty quiet due to wolf population.
We're thinking about using Llamas. No decisions yet. I tried Panhandle 2 years ago and ran into the same thing with the Elk being quiet, likely due to Wolves. It was an October hunt, and this will be Sept. Any difference with the Rut being in full swing?

Back