ID 17 Info?

WSM300Rich

Michigan man seeks local with knowledge of Idaho 17. Doing first ever Elk/Mule Deer hunt in a few short weeks. Doing a drop camp.

Just can't Wait!:p

Looking for information on terrain, cover, ...etc.

I've quit the smokes, losing weight and walking the dog to death!:D

Rich

Outfitters base camp is in a place called Hells Half Acre. Near the Selway River. Just to the west of the Nez Peirce pass. Drop camp is supposed to be from 5 to 15 miles away from there.

Thanks for the reply and any help you can give.
Rich

Your going in with Bill Mitchell, I'd guess that your camp will be closer say the 5 mile variety. Other Outfitters have area's closer than the 15 on each side of him. His bear baits always end up right on top of whomever baits in that area, kind of a weird thing. Says he has to bait in certain spots cause the F& Game make him. The weird thing is his baits shift to wherever others are.
Might hear a wolf in there. Rough country for sure. Some parts steep,some aren't but all wild.
I'm not real sure how good the deer hunting will be, some high country mulies, but not the place I'd go for deer. There is also whitetails in there.
You could get a nice bull in there. If you have a bear tag that would be a possibility.

ShootsStraight,

Pretty thick stuff? Or a combination of thick and open. Trying to decide if I will need the rangefinder...etc.

What kind of a camp does Bill run? I'll understand if you don't want to say. If you want, shoot me a email.

First trip west. Hunted Whitetail and Black Bear here since I was a little kid. Been many many moons ago that I started.

Thanks for the reply!
Rich

I had a very hard time judging distance the first few years out west. Being from Indiana we just didnt hunt farther than 100 yards.

Out there you are looking at animals 1000 yards plus...then trying to stalk down on them. I ve been around the moose creek area and then 15 miles in all directions on foot. Very open country.

Dont get excited about the Mule deer they dont grow very big horns, or atleast the sheds that I have found are kinda skinny.

Rich,

That area has some cover on the north slopes and more open on the south slopes. Has a had a lot of fires over the last several years. A number of small ones are burning now. Recent timely rains have knocked them down, but we're looking at some warmer drier weather in the forcast, and they could take off. That could be a factor in where you hunt. Let me know how your hunt goes.....my Wisconsin dad has been kicking around the idea of a drop camp in that area and Mitchell is on the list. Thanks. Good luck on the hunt too!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back