Ice fishing North of the Arctic Circle!

northwestalaska

My son and I just returned from a very fast ice fishing trip in Kotzebue Sound. A quick up date on where in the He&% is Kotzebue Sound will put you about 10 miles north of the booming mega hub of Kotzebue Alaska, 33 warm miles north of the Arctic Circle located in NW Alaska.

Well, the Sheefish are commonly called the Tarpon of the north because they are great fighters, they are huge (35-55 pounds are common) and they are so good eating! The winter run of the Sheefish put these monsters running through the sound chasing the influx of herring and Tom Cod that find their way up here each spring and timing is everything. The Sheefish are here and gone very quickly and right now they are here and in huge numbers.

We got out of school about 4:30 pm and had the sno-go packed by 5:00pm, about 10 miles of very rough sea ice found us near the mouth of the Noatak River. Now the only thing between us and the fish was about 5 feet of sea ice, now cones the ice auger!
Our total time with 1 hook in the water was about 4 minutes when Gavin, my 11 year old had his first Sheefish hooked and the 7 inch hole was too small to slide it out and this can only mean 1 thing, it’s a big one! It took he a little work but we forced the fish through the hole and # 1 was about 40 inches and a easy 38-40 pounds. This is no joke but with in ½ of an hour of fishing we had 11 fish on the sea ice and the average wt. was around 40 pounds each! Lets do some math…40 pounds x 11 fish = Crap that’s a lot of fish!

The best part of this story was the dinner we had when we got home! Sheefish is great any way you cook them and we have plenty of fish to share with our friends to boot!

I am including some pics and just to let you know these monsters are a lot more fun in the summer time! Just think about a good rod and reel in your hands with lets see… 20 pound test and BAM! The best summer sheefishing is August in the upper Kobuk and Selawik Rivers and you can count on 15-30 fish a day with most well over 30 pounds. Last summer I outfitted a group of guys from back east who had heard about these monsters and they spent 6 days chasing mongos in the upper Kobuk. Between the 3 of them they landed over 100 fish and the 3 largest were all over 45 pounds and that is all on a spinning set up! Too much fun!

Enjoy the pics guys!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Kotzebue, Ak
www.northwestalaska.com

Attachments

• IMG_8498.JPG
    IMG_8498.JPG
    601 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_8499.JPG
    IMG_8499.JPG
    569.2 KB · Views: 188
That has got to be the biggest white fish Ive ever seen Congrats looked fun in a weird sort of way

Sorry about not compressing it. I have caught lots bigger! 10 years ago my 9 year old hooked a 48 pounder that needed a second hole to get it out! Too much fun!

Life is short!

Man, that looks like fun. Cold fun, but fun.

No such thing as cold! Just poor clothing! Up here we have winter about 7-8 months a year and cold is a part of life. If you can’t deal with cold than you miss out on a lot of really cool things!

I am heading out for a spring Dall Sheep hunt this weekend. It will be about 2 very hard hours on the Sno-Go up into the Brooks Range but we are allowed 1 ram per year every year! I am also allowed to shoot 15 caribou a day every day as well as a 1 moose per year and we don’t have limits on our fish, don't need no stinking LIMMITS! If I want 10 salmon I catch 10, if my needs call for 100 a day well its 100 today! Sheefish is a good example as we stopped after we had 400+ pounds on the ice and it could of easily of been 1,000 pounds of fish.

NW Alaska is harsh but if you want the goods you have to pay the price! That’s why my outfitting business is growing so nicely! Lots of guys like you realize that there are very few places like this left any where in the world! We are also home to the world and state record Dolly Varden/Char at 27.7 pounds! It was caught by a friend of mine a few years ago. The best I have ever caught is 15 pounds but I am always looking for a bigger one around the next bend. Think of what it is like to hook a Dolly that is 15 pounds on a caddis fly and 4x tippit! What a ride! Toss yourself in one of my rafts and give me a week and I will help you find paradise, you supply the rod and reel!

Look us up boys! 400,000 caribou cant be wrong! Life is a dream and the clock is ticking!

Walt
Kotzebue, Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com
Your best bet in Camp and Raft rental! Trip planning to!

Attachments

• IMG_8504.JPG
    IMG_8504.JPG
    721 KB · Views: 136
Now that's just an unabashed, bold face, advertisement!

That being said, please tell us more and of course we want to know about the "Hunttalk" discount! LOL!

Keep the pics coming and I'd love to fish/hunt with your outfit someday!!

Advertisement??? What??

Now that's just an unabashed, bold face, advertisement!

That being said, please tell us more and of course we want to know about the "Hunttalk" discount! LOL!

Keep the pics coming and I'd love to fish/hunt with your outfit someday!!

Ok your right! I am what I am I am! Up here we have so many choices and my walls are thick with racks and mounts. Discounts?? We have discounts!! If your planning a trip this far up I will fix you up. I am a straight shooter and I have plenty of guys who will tell you about their hunt of fishing trip with me. I know the country and will help you put together the best DYI trip you could ever dream of. I advertise here and on Alaska Outdoors Forums, ask about my services and you will see that I am the best of the best! ( my mother thinks so!) http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com

Walt
Gear and trip planning!
www.northwestalaska.com

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back