Ice auger/rods

sigpros

What is a good ice auger for ice fishing. Need a budget model since we might only get a chance to use it one or twice a year here. Really wanting to try are hand at it on a couple of ponds this year if it gets cold enough

Could just rough out holes with a spud bar. I never used an auger. my dad flattened and flared the end of a 7 foot length of heavy rebar. easy to grip and good for ice up to about 14 inches thick, or thicker without using much muscle. Tie a rope to it....

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Not a lot of options here in Missouri. Hoping to chase some crappie and blue Gill in some farm ponds if it freezes good enough

Any recommendations for rods? I would like to get 2-3 of the little rods because I might put my pop up blind up and fish in it. Thank you

Thanks guys. Not a lot of options here in Missouri. Hoping to chase some crappie and blue Gill in some farm ponds if it freezes good enough
A 5” hand auger will work fine for those fish. I only use a hand auger and the ice is usually 18” around here.

Back