Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

I Wish Them Well, Wolves verus Elk Hoof Rot Disease

Why does phony stoicism seem worse than the phony intellectualism that comes with it?

And, not to be a big ol hole poker, but a few things are getting overlooked in all the heat around here:

1) Classic predator-prey relationships can't really be a thoroughly effective solution across the board, with consistency, in situations like this; classic predator-prey relationships didn't create the issue. We've seen some of the results that occur when humans try to guide this relationship as a solution to man-made ecological problems, and it hasn't been a lot of success stories.

2) Diseases travel with animals, and infects new animals in new places. Know what drives animal movement? Migration, climate, human activity, and get this: predation, too. And a variety of other factors. CWD is being spread by humans carrying live and dead deer around in trucks all over the USA - how the heck can predators manage something like that? I know you're more focused on EHR, but they're all sordidly connected by the human factor.

3) Wolves are opportunistic predators. That means obviously they'll get any wounded sick prey animals, but they're also going to get literally anything they can clamp their teeth on. Perfectly healthy elk stuck in a marshy area, perfectly healthy deer that trips and falls, etc. If they have the opportunity, they're taking it.

4) Not to lose friends around here, but I grew up raising a wide variety of livestock, and losing a few here and there on the range is part of the game. If you're not insuring and budgeting for lost livestock, you're not using your head. Nothing was worse than anthrax outbreaks, by the way. Predators never put us in a situation where we had to pile up dead cattle and burn them, and that kind of stuff was in the ground long before humans showed up. For whatever that might be worth.

It's a complicated set of issues that changes every 60 miles, folks. There's no easy answer.
I repeat, for the umpteenth time. I am talking about one place, not across the board,

I just figured out the bottom line here, so simple really.

Predator-prey relationships are now being suggested as a tool, by some cutting edge biologists. To use where they could work, and have worked, to resolve some ecological problems.

You folks simply do not want this " tool" in the "tool box" at all, under any circumstances, even if it might work in some situations.

Now I am out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this really our only hoof rot thread!?! Update below, we may have been underestimating the effects

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back