Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I want to kill a Mt. Lion

okie archer

I posted this on another forum but thought I would post here. I want to go on a Mt. Lion hunt with someone who has hounds. An outfitted hunt is out of my price range. However I am not looking for a handout. I realize there may be laws concerning recieving money to take someone hunting Im just not sure on each states laws. I am willing to pay for gas and expenses as well as being a full time taxidermist would be glad to trade taxidermy work for the privilege of going along with someone. I would work hard on the hunt, I am respectful and easy to get along with. If anyone is interested or has any advice please pm me.

Montana requires non residents to book with Licensed outfitters... Before that law was past lots of illegal outfitting such as your suggesting. Save your pennys.....

Idaho you can definitely only pay licensed guide but you could probably pay for some gas etc. you might have more luck offering a hunt trade in your area for a unique hunt for a lion hunt. If you don’t go guided non res needs to draw hound hunter permits which can be a tough draw in Idaho

Utah increased their mountain lion harvest last year and they are probably also increasing the harvest objective tags this year. You might be able to find a discount hunt with one of the houndsmen there. Under $7,500 should get you a very good cougar hunt and that is top end, from what I researched and paid. Good luck. It’s addicting.

The big cats can be called in and we have plenty in Wyoming as stated.
Find an area with liberal quotas and come up and call this December into Jan/Feb.

sorry I missed this, thanks for the heads up fellows

You can hunt Arizona without an outfitter . I would call the outfitters there and try to do some horse trading--hunt for taxidermy work---and if they dont want to do that, ask them for names of folks who live in Arizona who have dogs that might do some horse trading with you. nothing ventured, nothing gained

Also call Arizona Game dept in Tucson, Yuma, Flagstaff ( not Phoenix ) for best results in finding people in the agency who will try to help you.

Also, just so you know, you are allowed to bring dogs with you, from your state, if you can find someone closer to you that might want to hunt with you

Plus, you can visit the Grand Canyon, which you can not do in places like WY, MT, ID ;)

Good luck

Just to add on - WY has a lot of cats. And if you are willing to go "on-call" when the conditions are good and not booking a 6-day deal guessing on the weather, many guys will go cheaper (like $2k cheaper or so) than the prices listed above. The houndsmen usually have enough other guides/family to go out on resident tags, so your best bet may be to book on and then work on the taxidermy barter.

Thanks all, and thanks mmazour for bringing things to my attention I haven't thought of. If I planned it right I could probably do the "on-call" route.

I'd watch out for the horse-trading as a few pointed out above unless your with a licensed outfitter.

Trading/bartering for a guided hunt with an unlicensed "guide" is certainly going to get you into some trouble in a lot of places and it'll likely cost you more than $7,500. Undercover fish and wildlife officers spend their days endlessly searching the internet for posts just like this

Last edited:
Ok thank you.
As I said I am not aware of every law for every state concerning bartering. However if someone does take me up on this I will find out what state they are from and do the research to find out the laws for that specific state. Thanks again.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back