I survived a vicious animal attack

gouch

I went a short hunting trip, at least I call it hunting, it's mostly just camping. I got there Sunday afternoon, but my partner wasn't going to show up until Monday. I just got camp all set up and by then I was all hot and sweaty, so I sat down in my camp chair in the shade with a glass of cold tea. I placed my hat on the ground next to the chair and fell into relax mode. Suddenly, a digger squirrel appeared ten feet to my left. He looked me over, stomped his feet then rolled around in the dust. he looked at me again then rolled in the dust. He did this two more times, until he was completely camouflaged by the dust. Then without warning, he charged! He sent my hat flying and ran right across my semi bare, Chaco clad feet. He stopped just feet away and gave me a good stare down. Satisfied that he had put the fear of God in me he then ran off never to be seen again. Later on, a little after sunset, I was back in my chair about forty yards or less from the creek, watching three wood ducks that had come in, to feed in the shallow pool. I looked up towards the ridgeline for a minute, thinking it was about time to grab an adult beverage and settle in for the night. I looked back to the creek, but the ducks were gone and in their place was a tom cougar just sitting on the far bank watching me. I said, " I hope to hell you're not in cahoots with Rambo squirrel." He just got up and slowly walked away. I guess I am just too fat and greasy for his taste.

I had a close run in with a small lion a few years back. I’m glad you got to experience that, it’s pretty special in hindsight.

I encountered the same cat twice last year. It would show up at night and I'd catch it in my headlamp lurking near camp. I have no idea how many nights he/she was there where I didn't see it. It was a cool experience but also a bit unnerving. Enough that I started carrying my .380 in camp. I always come back long after dark so just as a precaution, I'd shine my headlamp on the tree limbs above my gear.

It wasn't a big one...2 or 3 years old. However old they are when mom kicks them out to make room for her new kits.

I went a short hunting trip, at least I call it hunting, it's mostly just camping. I got there Sunday afternoon, but my partner wasn't going to show up until Monday. I just got camp all set up and by then I was all hot and sweaty, so I sat down in my camp chair in the shade with a glass of cold tea. I placed my hat on the ground next to the chair and fell into relax mode. Suddenly, a digger squirrel appeared ten feet to my left. He looked me over, stomped his feet then rolled around in the dust. he looked at me again then rolled in the dust. He did this two more times, until he was completely camouflaged by the dust. Then without warning, he charged! He sent my hat flying and ran right across my semi bare, Chaco clad feet. He stopped just feet away and gave me a good stare down. Satisfied that he had put the fear of God in me he then ran off never to be seen again. Later on, a little after sunset, I was back in my chair about forty yards or less from the creek, watching three wood ducks that had come in, to feed in the shallow pool. I looked up towards the ridgeline for a minute, thinking it was about time to grab an adult beverage and settle in for the night. I looked back to the creek, but the ducks were gone and in their place was a tom cougar just sitting on the far bank watching me. I said, " I hope to hell you're not in cahoots with Rambo squirrel." He just got up and slowly walked away. I guess I am just too fat and greasy for his taste.
I have am yet to see a mountain lion. I've lived in MT since 1988. Saw first grizzly with two cubs in 2001. Haven't seen one since.

I missed it by an hour...

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_222305.jpg
    IMG_20220909_222305.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 16
I have seen 8 in the wild and I buy a cougar tag every year. While watching this one though, I realized that I don't really want to kill one.

Ditto on the tags here in central OR, getting to be quite a few. Had one wander through the parking lot of a local eatery just last week.

I've seen a few punkin heads around here since I moved here. Driving, hiking, hunting. Lots of young ones, but some real big old cats. Mtn Lions.

Neighbors have some cats, domestic. One is an old tom who lives in the barn year round.
One eye and a half torn off ear. Fearless.
He lost those parts to a NM rodent and one of the most aggressive and largest squirrels I have seen.
The Rock squirrel.
Makes the CA ground models I killed by the hundreds, docile. They burrow in rock piles. Under any buildings or footings. I shot one eight pounder with a 22. Took me 4 days and 3 bait blocks.

Rio has caught a few and just eats them. One day he'll get an eye or ear job like that old cat if he's not carefull. They are wise to him and my traps.
In the mean time the big cats have left me be since I got him. And 6 bait stations have replaced dozens of traps.
I have literally worn out traps on NM rodents. They have not gotten wise to the bait.

Lions? I like Mtn lion chile verde...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back