I made some sneaky shoes.

p_ham

I am sure folks are familiar with the old "slip over your boot" sneaky feet, along with the rimrok stalkers and stalkasins moccasin. The idea of lightweight stalking shoes has intrigued me for a while, especially since I replay all my life choices every time I take my boots off for a stalk..

I looked at a lot of different moccasin designs but couldn't really find one I liked. I decided to go with more of a standard boot cut, as that's what I'm most familiar with and knew it would lace up tight.

I picked up a 4.5# suede split fairly cheap to test with. I will probably make a veg-tanned version with felt soles later after I work out any bugs that arise with these.

I used Brownell B50 bowstring for the thread, which I thought was fitting and I've got a bunch of it.

All in all I'm happy with the design. I'm intersted to see how the suede holds up. Thanks for looking.
0127202016a.jpg0127202015.jpg0127202016.jpg
P.S. taking a picture of the back of your feet is hard as hell.

very cool! wondering if there is any way to have a replaceable sole so you don't wear them out too quick. maybe it's easy to just cut it out and re-sew a new piece of leather, but that sounds impossible to me since i can't sew a button.

House slippers for those who wish that they were out stalking something! I, too, wonder about stickers going through them. Would they be as quiet, if you put a durable insole INSIDE of the soft leather?

I'm thinking that my leather gloves help my hands when crawling, so maybe these would do the trick on the feet. but , I also don't have my entire body weight on my hands :)

Thanks for the input. This was actually a little easier than most of the metalwork I do. Toughest part was making a usable pattern.

This was definitely not a StaySharp tutorial but good looking mocs.
I would like to know what I'm doing before I made a tutorial. Although that never stops some folks.

House slippers for those who wish that they were out stalking something! I, too, wonder about stickers going through them. Would they be as quiet, if you put a durable insole INSIDE of the soft leather?
I was thinking of doing something like that, with felt on the outer sole.

Just wait till the hipsters see these and you can sell em for $400 a pair (y)

Pretty cool though! I sewed a pillow once in a mandatory home-ec class, I'd say I'm not far behind:LOL::LOL:
$400 you say? Do you think wing tips would bring in more? You should try it! Prior to this, my sewing extent was modifying a rangefinder case. I think hobby lobby has goat skins for like $11 to practice on.

I'm thinking that my leather gloves help my hands when crawling, so maybe these would do the trick on the feet. but , I also don't have my entire body weight on my hands :)
I doubled up the sole thickness but I still have my reservations. Either way its better than socks.

How'd you even sketch out the form cutting the leather? That's what would get me, I'd end up with like 2 mittens when it was all said and done haha

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back