Caribou Gear

I love small towns....

Who knew it was possible to put a spare tire on backwards? Let me back up a bit. I get a flat on my F250 when we were pheasant hunting near Plentywood MT. No big deal, 4 of us make quick work of it. I wasn't paying attention when my cousin put the spare on. Nobody noticed it was on backwards. Away we go. for about 25 yards until the valve stem rips off the spare. Dang. Since we had 2 trucks we grab them both and go into Plentywood. They guy at the tire shop sells me a used tire that has about 80% tread left, mounts, balances it, and replaces the valve stem on the spare too. Total bill? $20.

Oh and as we were waiting....I cannot tell this without laughing myself!....my uncle is standing next to his son-in-law. He says, "Hey Jon, my birthday is coming up, will you buy me this hat?". Jon says, sure! It is all I can do to not laugh out loud as I realize my uncles birthday is in August. Remember what we were doing in MT? Pheasant hunting. It was October.
Yep. Two years ago I cut a tire on my Jimmy hunting out of Dillon. The guy at the tire shop sold me a great looking used tire (odd size) for $35. Too bad he didn't have a pair. This year when back in Montana I bought a new tire to match the other three at Havre Walmart but they were backed up for a week on installations. Back at the same shop in Dillon had it mounted and balanced for thirty bucks. Walked down the street to Safeways and bought some groceries. They were done with it by the time I returned. Very pleasant Indian kid did the work.

I was asked by probably the same girl but from a Chicago suburb once if I've ever been to a McDonald's. Then it dawned on me she was dead serious, wtf. Didn't close the deal on that one either.
I went to college at Western Illinois. There were a lot of Chicago people there. It’s amazing how so many smart people can be so dumb.

I went to college at Western Illinois. There were a lot of Chicago people there. It’s amazing how so many smart people can be so dumb.
I was standing in line for the bathroom during the final four game in New Orleans on Saturday. There was a young guy behind me wearing a zion jersey. The line was long so we started chatting and he was telling me how he’s going to college for automation and something in aviation. Fast forward to the point where I get done in the bathroom and go to wash my hands….this kid is standing there waving his hands at the sink as I walk up and say “you gotta step on that pedal.” He looks down, steps on the pedal and starts to laugh. I replied with a sarcastic “how about that automation.”

Last edited:
I was standing in line for the bathroom during the final four game in New Orleans on Saturday. There was a young guy behind me wearing a zoom jersey. The line was long so we started chatting and he was telling me how he’s going to college for automation and something in aviation. Fast forward to the point where I get done in the bathroom and go to wash my hands….this kid is standing there waving his hands at the sink as I walk up and say “you gotta step on that pedal.” He looks down, steps on the pedal and starts to laugh. I replied with a sarcastic “how about that automation.”
I want to laugh but I’ve done that too. The paper towel machines are the worst.

I love small towns... because there's a generational understanding of a place and a community.

I've never once described a location in my hometown based on the "Official" road name, which I still don't hardly know. It's an event based location. You know that place where that thing happened? Just past there.

I moved away to an equally small town, which is both better and worse.

My sis moved back after college and vents to me about all the struggles of living in the same town for 4 generations. Her current one is that you can't try to buy a piece of property without pissing off someone that you don't want to piss off. Just lost a lot to the guy who built her and my parents house (also graduated with my uncle and his parents were my grandparents best friends, and I graduated with his son...)

I should but can't remember the name of the small bar/pizza joint in Fairbanks. We went in late one night after returning from a 10 day Dall Sheep hunt. Anyway, the lady working showed us how to exit and lock the back door and asked us to leave what we owed for the bill on the counter when done...Very much appreciated the cold beers that night. We left her a huge tip!

I should but can't remember the name of the small bar/pizza joint in Fairbanks. We went in late one night after returning from a 10 day Dall Sheep hunt. Anyway, the lady working showed us how to exit and lock the back door and asked us to leave what we owed for the bill on the counter when done...Very much appreciated the cold beers that night. We left her a huge tip!
Deer hunting one evening out in a little town way west of Me I got back late. I went into the only place in town only to find that the kitchen closed. The bartender told me I'll go get her she just loves up the street. I insisted that was OK and Id just have a few beers. She came back cooked me a burger. Left a huge tip also.

Last edited:
I was home working during the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore year in college. About once a week I'd stop by a local shop that sold guns (plus lots of other stuff) - but I had my eye on a Ruger Vaquero, .44 mag with a 5 1/2 in barrel. I was 19 - and knew I couldn't buy it till I was 21.

I paid for the gun - and then said my Mom or Dad would be in to fill in the paperwork. My Mom went in a little later, filled in the paperwork and brought home the gun. It was in the first year or 2 of the 5-day background check, and the owner had already talked to the Sheriff and "pre-approved" the transaction.

I still have the gun - it's a real tack driver. And I still buy guns from him if I can't find what I'm looking for on this side of the State.

I was standing in line for the bathroom during the final four game in New Orleans on Saturday. There was a young guy behind me wearing a zion jersey. The line was long so we started chatting and he was telling me how he’s going to college for automation and something in aviation. Fast forward to the point where I get done in the bathroom and go to wash my hands….this kid is standing there waving his hands at the sink as I walk up and say “you gotta step on that pedal.” He looks down, steps on the pedal and starts to laugh. I replied with a sarcastic “how about that automation.”
Not sure I've seen a wash station with a foot pedal since I last walked out of my high school in 1970.

There is a small town near here called Butte Falls. The town hasn't changed a bit as long as I can remember. One evening a friend of mine drove through there but went 24-mph through the 20-mph school zone and got pulled over. He explained that the sign said " 20-mph when children are present" and that it was eight o-clock on a summer night, so school was not even in session. The long time, and only cop in town stared him in the eye, while chewing on his gum for what seemed like forever than said "Children are always present in Butte Falls." My friend just shut up and paid the fine.

I thought of another small town story. Coming out of the Pecos Wilderness in New Mexico in the fall; gorgeous colors, and first test of my Trailwise down bag (gorgeous compared to my previous el-cheapo bags). Seven days in, and a little tired of oatmeal breakfasts, rice, boxed chicken/noodle dinners, and peanut butter/honey. Years away from affording freeze-dried. I picked up a couple hitchhiking and they had 2 leftover Coors. Best beers ever. Stopped at the Pecos Restaurant, and had a wonderful burrito. After several more beers, asked me if I wanted to stick around, find a job, and be in their production of The Wizard of Oz.

Sometimes, in later years, wished I had just said, yeah, I do. 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
In Az. we go behind a bush and then wipe our hands on our pants,
no high-tech. pedals our automation for us! ;) 💥
It’s the time of year we start to turn water back on at our parks and opening the flushable toilets. There will be a pile of poo in front of and behind almost every one where someone could not wait.

I dont care to live in a small town full time but my hunting lease is in a small town in Alabama. I enjoy the time I spend there during hunting season November thru Feb. Its nice to slow down a bit and be able to drive with little to no traffic. Everything is only 5 minutes away from where you are. My lease is only 15 minutes from town. Fortunately I 65 runs passed the town and there is some useful commercial development at the interchange. A great place to visit.

Small towns are not just "remembered" and "loved" by our senior citizens, they are also desired, appreciated and enjoyed by some young Americans as well.

I will move back to Texas and when I do I will live in Bandera Texas. I love that town. Admittedly they have taken advantage of their history and a lot of tourist also visit. The Hunt Talk music lovers, would enjoy the Frontier Times museum. If you own a musical instrument and know how to play it, all you have to do is show up. Speaking of music, Texas also has the town known as "Luckenbach" :)

Also, not just towns, but States. People in rural areas that live in these States ---Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado , Idaho, Wyoming and Montana --have been very hospitable. Allowing me to park on their farm, throw up my portable fence so the horses can get out of the trailer at night. Some even let me put them in a field or corral, and invited me to eat dinner with them. And they never wanted or took any compensation for their kind hospitality.

I am not saying that this type of hospitality does not exist in other States, I have not hauled horses in any other states, than those mentioned.

In Clint Wells Az. the local cafe has a weekly Prim Rib special, I took my date all the way up the mountain for a great meal at a discounted price.
She had to work late and we arrived after they had closed. outside was the cook smoking a cigarette and he let us in, sat us down, and headed for the kitchen. Soon out comes a waitress who takes our order and continues to cater to us late into the night. We had the whole restaurant to ourselves AND a personnel waitress! BIG TIP!! (Waitress and Cook)
I love small towns... ❤️ 💥

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back