MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I know Montana is full but…

5qngju.jpg
Is that the Wilks' N Bar Ranch fence?

I was in town this morning by 8 AM. Couldn't hardly make a left turn. Yeah, we are damn near full here. mtmuley

The nice thing about butte is that it is already so F’d up the locals think it’s a feature.
You're not wrong. Not wrong at all. It's funny cause it's true. It's a badge of honor/chip on their sholder/whatever you want to call it. And I say this as a Bozeman resident living in Butte. At least I'm going to call myself that. Not that I work in Bozeman. But I lived there a few decades and only moved recently. I would love some of my amenities from Bozeman in Butte. I wouldn't have Amazon prime if I still lived in Bozeman. I hate Walmart but when it's your only option....you buy it Prime!

not really but working remotely for office jobs is here to stay. That means your not tied to any one specific location to do your job. The company I work for employees over 10,000 people...it's implemented a work from home policy, so have many EPC's. I have a new out of state neighbor here in SC...moved down from Vermont about a year ago. She still has her job for the company in Vermont but when they said she could be full time remote they moved down.
The technology that allows people to work from home has been around for decades. Covid is what caused the big changes in the last year. I would bet that at some point the percentage working from home declines - upper management usually likes to have control over people, and they will gradually shift back to making people return to the office. Maybe not, time will tell.

The technology that allows people to work from home has been around for decades. Covid is what caused the big changes in the last year. I would bet that at some point the percentage working from home declines - upper management usually likes to have control over people, and they will gradually shift back to making people return to the office. Maybe not, time will tell.
Maybe but I believe profit is more important and working from home reduces overhead and many companies are seeing productivity go up. Not sure anything will change anytime soon. Working from home plays into the current administrations hands.

Update:

After a couple trips we decided to initially settle in the Helena area, we are in a lakefront rental on Hauser Lake, and the horse is boarded about 5 mins from our house. Feels real good to be a Montana resident after all these years of dreaming about it. I drove a truck for a job to Bozeman and then on to big sky yesterday and am in awe of the scenery and that my wife and I live here. Truly amazing.

Unfortunately the only tag I’ll have in my pocket this year is a WT tag but will make the best of it.

Thank you guys for all your input!

Attachments

• 700E6997-07DF-4C95-8350-AEB29CB7F162.jpeg
    700E6997-07DF-4C95-8350-AEB29CB7F162.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 24
Unfortunately the only tag I’ll have in my pocket this year is a WT tag
This is what most of us will be saying in 10 more years with how many people like yourself will have moved here by then. Over the counter, resident opportunities will be a thing of the past. But welcome to Montana....I guess......and good luck whitetail doe hunting

Unless someone is Native American, we all have encroached on someone else's quality of life at some point. Where does one draw the line when we say it's ok for someone to live "there", 10 years? 20? 3 generations?

I've sure lived various areas where folks come in with tons of dough and feel like they own the place, complaining about and trying to change long standing ways and culture (farming).

I know it can suck, but really, who are we to judge. I try to change what I can, but I've learned that my complaining sure doesn't help, not to mention I've got enough gray hairs already without needing to give myself more complaining about things I can't change.

As an American, I respect everyone's freedom in life. Life is change, so I just try to accept it and make the best of it. To each his own...

Reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing as lifeisgoodsteve. Don’t get me wrong, I really, really like most of Montana’s culture. However, even if your Great, Great Granddaddy was born in Montana; there are certainly things that you think could be improved upon outside of getting rid of all the transplants. You know like better schools, snow removal or better internet.

I find it interesting that even transplants take on the hate the newcomer hazing bit. Are they posers with a Montana license plate, or are they just trying to be part of something larger than themselves? I think that it makes them feel like they fit in with the others, commiserating with changing times.

I get it I guess; I grew up in a place that my family has lived since the early 1600s. Only the Native Americans and the Spanish have been here longer. I find it somehow amusing when a person talks about how long they have been here. I’m the 19th generation and my Sons are the 20th. My ancestor was attacked by a group of Native Americans on the beach, the moment they landed. They had to hack a life out of the forest and defend their lives against a much larger opposing force that wanted nothing more but to get rid of them for years. It kind of set the stage for things to come I suppose.

My family relocated to another area around 1617 and although they have lived, settled and founded towns all over this land, a contingent of them have been on that same peninsula ever since. Up until 20 or 30 years ago, there were very few transplants and it was a very small community. Now it’s a major metro area. People complain but honestly stuff is better too.

I moved my family to another popular tourist small town, and they hatted outsiders as well. If you weren’t born there, then you were a flatlander. Then it progressed to if you don’t have 7 or more generations here, then you aren’t really local. I worked with a couple of guys (brothers), who have moved there with their family’s when they were still in grade school. That was 30 years prior, and they were still considered outsiders eventhough everyone loved them. It was just the way it was. We tended to hang out with other transplants and locals who made you feel more welcome.

This story is nothing new and not just a Montana issue. Just ignore the people who are trying to destroy your happiness and move on. If they don’t like you because you weren’t born there, or because you look different, wear different clothes or have different methods, then let them. They don’t really have relevance, if you don’t give it to them. They have to earn the right to be your friend or in your comunity as much as you have to earn the right to be theirs.

Very few people are really from Montana anyway, as compaired to other places. Transplants will soon outnumber them, and it will become cool to admit to being from elsewhere.

https://montanafreepress.org/2019/08/01/where-born-and-bred-montanans-do-and-dont-live/

1636580727691.png

Last edited:
It is a safe bet that there is a good percentage of people in Carter county that spent the first few days of there life in Rapid City and the rest of there life in Carter County.

Back