I know, dangerous ammo question

6.5 with a bullet like the eld-x is not ethical on elk eldm even less so. The 7 mag with a tough bullet is a much better choice. Also, ammo is available if you keep your heads up online so what’s available locally shouldn’t be a concern.
Hi, I am newbee to this channel, been hunting moose in sweden for 25+ years but this year its about Elk in CO for the first time. I am planning to use my Proof Research in 300 Win Mag. My question is if you would say YES to using the Hornady Superformance 180 gr SST round, it shoots really really good in my rifle?? // Mats

Hi, I am newbee to this channel, been hunting moose in sweden for 25+ years but this year its about Elk in CO for the first time. I am planning to use my Proof Research in 300 Win Mag. My question is if you would say YES to using the Hornady Superformance 180 gr SST round, it shoots really really good in my rifle?? // Mats
Behind the shoulder and you will be fine

OK, does that mean the round is so so or one of the good choices for 300 win mag and elk?

For moose in Sweden I use a Proof Research as well but chambered in 308W, distances is usually between 125 - 200 yards. For that I am normally using Norma Bondstrike 180gr. The Norma Bondstrike in 300 Win Mag 180gr is not available in the US so I am looking for a replacement. The 180gr SST for the 300 Win Mag is very accurate up to 700 yards in my rifle - I shoot on a 12 inch round metal plate - its super good in the rifle and I believe the distance will be much longer then the Swedish moose hunt..

For moose in Sweden I use a Proof Research as well but chambered in 308W, distances is usually between 125 - 200 yards. For that I am normally using Norma Bondstrike 180gr. The Norma Bondstrike in 300 Win Mag 180gr is not available in the US so I am looking for a replacement. The 180gr SST for the 300 Win Mag is very accurate up to 700 yards in my rifle - I shoot on a 12 inch round metal plate - its super good in the rifle and I believe the distance will be much longer then the Swedish moose hunt..
Like JLS said, keep it behind the shoulder and it will do its job. If you are wanting to do a high shoulder/anchoring shot or something strongly quartered you could make a mess. The sst is going to open violently and wouldn’t be good hitting those heavy bones

You should be fine, but you might look at the Hornady GMX bullet. It's shoots almost exactly the same, but hold together a little better for deeper penetration. I typically shoot the SST for deer sized game and go to the GMX for elk. It's worked great for me in both 7mm-08 and 7mm mag. But, like has been said, place it behind the shoulder and you're fine. If you are going through bone, I would go with the GMX.

For any scenario mentioned above a quality controlled expansion hollowpoint bullet or monometal will do nicely.
Personality I'd find whatever heavy for caliber round that your rifle likes and use it.
Learn the minimum expansion velocity (1600fps, 1800fps, or more likely for these types of bullets 1900-2k fps) for your preferred round and that's your max range provided you get some range time shooting well at 1.5 to 2x that "practice distance".
good luck and enjoy every moment

Dangerous question because ammo is a personal choice and heavily dependent on what results each of us has seen on animals we've taken and how well we shoot. I certainly understand the "if you can shoot it well, that's your best choice" and agree to an extent. Not having much experience on elk wanted to get some opinions on 2 scenarios.

In looking at ammo availability locally it is very sparse. I have 2 calibers I own and looking for thoughts on elk more than deer. My daughter shot a mule deer with her 6.5 Creedmoor using the 143 grain ELD-X. I was very impressed with the results and very comfortable with mule deer sized game. We've also used this round on whitetails and equally impressed. I did pick up a box of the 147 ELD locally but skeptical that this would be sufficient on elk. Anyone have any experience with this particular round on elk?

The other caliber I own is 7mm rem mag but again not seeing a lot of ammo choices locally. I've seen Sierra 165 grain Gameking and Remington 175 grain corelokt PSP. Not seeing a ton of good reviews on either per se. Any thoughts on either of these for elk?

I'm fine with other recommendations but with the cost of ammo these days thought I'd see if anyone has any experience on these specific rounds before I invest in other rounds and see how the gun(s) like them. Thanks for your thoughts...
Core lokts are fantastic on elk.

Behind the shoulder and you will be fine
Sst is a garbage bullet for elk. Tiny exits, long dying times, poor blood trails. Had an 5pt bull double lunged that took over 5 minutes to die. Only reason I didn’t shoot it again is cus he was behind a boulder and I had to rock hop to get over to it. A few others that I shot multiple times before it went down.

Sst is a garbage bullet for elk. Tiny exits, long dying times, poor blood trails. Had an 5pt bull double lunged that took over 5 minutes to die. Only reason I didn’t shoot it again is cus he was behind a boulder and I had to rock hop to get over to it. A few others that I shot multiple times before it went down.
E6A59D37-4CDE-4028-81D2-60EA9CE73FC7.jpeg
Killed this cow with a SST from a .300 WM. Shot placement was behind the shoulder and she took maybe 3 steps and was dead. Having said that, I’ve switched to Accubonds in that Encore and would not use the Hornadys again.

Yes they’re tough suckers. But I never had to shoot an elk more than 1 time with a core lokt or interlock if it was a double lung shot. Cant say the same for sst.
But you didn't know that copper bullets could be used for killing? mtmuley

Dangerous question because ammo is a personal choice and heavily dependent on what results each of us has seen on animals we've taken and how well we shoot. I certainly understand the "if you can shoot it well, that's your best choice" and agree to an extent. Not having much experience on elk wanted to get some opinions on 2 scenarios.

In looking at ammo availability locally it is very sparse. I have 2 calibers I own and looking for thoughts on elk more than deer. My daughter shot a mule deer with her 6.5 Creedmoor using the 143 grain ELD-X. I was very impressed with the results and very comfortable with mule deer sized game. We've also used this round on whitetails and equally impressed. I did pick up a box of the 147 ELD locally but skeptical that this would be sufficient on elk. Anyone have any experience with this particular round on elk?

The other caliber I own is 7mm rem mag but again not seeing a lot of ammo choices locally. I've seen Sierra 165 grain Gameking and Remington 175 grain corelokt PSP. Not seeing a ton of good reviews on either per se. Any thoughts on either of these for elk?

I'm fine with other recommendations but with the cost of ammo these days thought I'd see if anyone has any experience on these specific rounds before I invest in other rounds and see how the gun(s) like them. Thanks for your thoughts...
I carry a custom 700 in 7mm mag and I love it. If you can find them. I use Hornady Precision Hunters with the 162gr E-LDX bullets. Super accurate and great stopping power.

blacksheep

But you didn't know that copper bullets could be used for killing? mtmuley
Out of 26 rifle killed elk, I think 7 were shot with sst. About half of the remaining were killed with core lokt and the rest with interlocks. I will take core lokt and interlock over sst every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back