Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I drew an archery North Dakota tag !

brokel those are fantastic !!

I am going first 10 days of season I'm almost certain ... which area I'm still yet deciding. I'm going to get ONX app for phone for sure.

If I'd have wanted a sure fire monster muley hunt I'd have shelled out the $$$$$$$ for a reservation hunt. I don't have the $$$ nor that desire, and I don't want guided .... I want DIY public land type hunting in a place I'd not been and ND fit the bill.

maybe other states have more, maybe not ... but I wanted ND, I got a tag, and am thrilled about the upcoming hunt.

Ok........................ U must like road hunters and oil traffic
No I like better quality and age class of deer. You prefer to hose down rutted up bucks with a high powered rifle. To each their own no wrong answer.
Good luck stealthycat I am jealous of your good tag. Great pictures Brockel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good god this isn’t that great of a hunt .... get ready for tons of oil traffic and roads everywhere and road hunters . Montana is twice the hunt as western ND ....
Ok........................ U must like road hunters and oil traffic
Now i see why you didn't like it, You where on the wrong side of the interstate!

Good god this isn’t that great of a hunt .... get ready for tons of oil traffic and roads everywhere and road hunters . Montana is twice the hunt as western ND ....

I would strongly disagree. I have hunted public land a fair amount in MT and extensively in ND. ND is a much better hunt in the overall hunting experience and deer quality. I have not hunted private in MT, so if that is your reference I can't speak to it.

In four years of rifle hunting MT, I never laid eyes on a 160" mulie. With a ND archery tag I would not even get excited unless they were over 160". Just my experience.

I would strongly disagree. I have hunted public land a fair amount in MT and extensively in ND. ND is a much better hunt in the overall hunting experience and deer quality. I have not hunted private in MT, so if that is your reference I can't speak to it.

In four years of rifle hunting MT, I never laid eyes on a 160" mulie. With a ND archery tag I would not even get excited unless they were over 160". Just my experience.
I believe you . Thanks for your insight ! Post pics after the kill stealthy

Definitely not a ton of large expanses of back country. You can hike over any big ridge or get a bit in and you will be away from most people though. Also you can use private property as boundaries to hike back into areas that technically have roads into them but most public land hunters won't get back into.

Good luck, spent my whole life in ND but never went after mule deer so I’m no help but hope you have a good hunt.

fantastic information and I appreciate it all guys - I had some life changing things happen and ND is going to refund me tag price. no muley hunt for me this fall - sad but it is what it is .... thanks again for all the info, I was looking forward to it

We used to hunt north of Beach before the tags got cut. Saw some dandies. Unfortunately I never tagged 1 but I sure learned a lot about muleys out there

I threw my name in the draw on a whim this spring and drew the archery any deer tag as well. I hunt whitetails in Manitoba and spend plenty of time on spot and stalk bears and deer in my local area. I'm hunting elk in Idaho in September and plan to stop in ND on the way home to get a few days of deer hunting in as well. Hopefully return in October If unsuccessful. We usually take the I-94 so will be hunting north or south of the interstate. I've been focusing my scouting north more than south of 94 and it appears there really is no end to the "right" type of landscape to hunt. Should a guy focus on finding a water source, hunting close to agriculture lands or find the nastiest stuff you can find? I hike 45 degree Idaho every year so fitness is not a concern. Are the oil and gas roads mainly open to the public? Can a guy pop a tent up just about anywhere in the badlands? Also, OnX for ND worth getting? I have it for idaho but hardly seem to turn it on when im hunting out there. Thanks for the info!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back