Yeti GOBOX Collection

I drew a once in a lifetime sheep tag at 25. Now what?

Hockaday2017

Somehow by the grace of God I managed to pull a Colorado S63 desert sheep tag for 2024. 1 of 3 tags for the unit and 1 of 14 resident tags statewide. The fun now begins. First off, I have from October 1 - December 29 off of work due to my first child that is due October 8. Great timing I know. However I have the most unbelievable wife who understands what this tag means and is fully supportive of me hunting the entire season. I live about 5 hours from the unit so I will not be terribly far from home. With the entire season off and only minimal responsibilities ;) where should I start? To those who have hunted sheep before, where did you start?

Last edited:
I think it is desert not dessert, but whatever.
Post it up. Let us know how you went about it, escouting, plan of attack, everything. Everyone here loves the story of an adventure. Pictures are great for the story, but I can't help there. I really don't know how people get good pictures. I'm jealous.

I think it is desert not dessert, but whatever.
Post it up. Let us know how you went about it, escouting, plan of attack, everything. Everyone here loves the story of an adventure. Pictures are great for the story, but I can't help there. I really don't know how people get good pictures. I'm jealous.
I know how to reed and rite! Thanks I will do my best.

Congrats on the tag and child! I’d be careful with the “understanding” part. I had an entire September off a couple years ago due to a child and really didn’t elk hunt much more than usual. Those days I left the house to chase elk weren’t as welcome as I expected.

Yeah, congrats on both the sheep and the child. I’d forget all about the sheep for the month of October at least. Find some family to help out the new mom when you slip away in Nov and Dec. You won’t need October to find a good ram. Enjoy it. What a fall!

Somehow by the grace of God I managed to pull a Colorado S63 desert sheep tag for 2024. 1 of 3 tags for the unit and 1 of 14 resident tags statewide. The fun now begins. First off, I have from October 1 - December 29 off of work due to my first child that is due October 8. Great timing I know. However I have the most unbelievable wife who understands what this tag means and is fully supportive of me hunting the entire season. I live about 5 hours from the unit so I will not be terribly far from home. With the entire season off and only minimal responsibilities ;) where should I start? To those who have hunted sheep before, where did you start?
First of all, congrats!!

Second, Are you a member of RMBS? If not you should join. We have a few events coming up that would be of benefit to you and people come out of the woodwork with advice, pins, photos etc for other members. Feel free to PM me and we can chat more on it

First of all, congrats!!

Second, Are you a member of RMBS? If not you should join. We have a few events coming up that would be of benefit to you and people come out of the woodwork with advice, pins, photos etc for other members. Feel free to PM me and we can chat more on it
I just sent you a message!

You’re also having a once in a lifetime baby. Can’t get that back.

Missing out on significant time with your new family is wild for what is a hobby for 99.9% of us, and I think most would agree, OIL tag or not.

As a new dad I only felt comfortable sneaking out to hunt when my wife had some help at the house. Oftentimes though she’d be irritated with visitors, even our families, and want me to be home.

Congrats on the tag and child! I’d be careful with the “understanding” part. I had an entire September off a couple years ago due to a child and really didn’t elk hunt much more than usual. Those days I left the house to chase elk weren’t as welcome as I expected.
I took a three year old and a one year old pig hunting with me once. One in tow and the other in the backpack. She needed us out of the house and that is about all we accomplished.
Got home and she let us know she was so worried she couldn't relax while we were gone. It counts as a good memory though.

I would agree with @rmyoung1 and remove the month of October from your mind for anything sheep related. Scout as much as you can before the baby comes and mentally prepare for not getting to be out there with a gun nearly as much as you should or would like. Maybe only the latter half of November.

You and your wife will likely both be surprised at how difficult things become once that baby arrives and for how long it stays that way. You may not get nearly as much time as either of you think or hope you will be able to get.

First baby... your wife doesn't even understand how difficult this will be, trust me, and neither do you. Nobody does until the end of month one with their first child. Even though she understand how important this is for you and it's OIL, once the baby arrives everyone's mental state will change, just be prepared for that and do everything she says and asks of you.

If you have family nearby lean on them.

You might have to rush this hunt and shoot a ram quickly or maybe not. You have be very mentally prepared for the former. Better to shoot just anything you can and get back home rather than be absent for weeks souring your wife on hunting for the rest of your life by totally dropping the ball and leaving her alone with a new baby, even if she "thinks" it's okay.

This is why I didn't apply for MSG when I knew my son was coming that same fall and why I didn't apply for it this year ;)

Last edited:
Congratulations on a tag 99.9% of hunters will never have.
Here is what I'd do if I were so lucky.
As has been mentioned, I'd first connect with sheep people/organizations and previous hunters. Most are glad to share what they know because it's such a special hunt and previous hunters won't be going again.
Contact the biologist from the area and pick his brain.
Make a trip or two to the unit to know the roads and how to get around. Maybe run out their before it gets hot. The sand gnats in my desert sheep area were awful during the summer months so avoid scouting then.
Get to know what kind of trophy quality exists and try to find an old ram.
Have a blast and milk every ounce of fun you can out of your good fortune.

I think you need to scale back your expectations a bit. You have a good long season. Break your plans into 10 day chunks. Putting more than 30 days of scouting and hunting into a hunt is a lot. It’s the journey and the hunt you’re going to remember. Don’t focus on the harvest. That is the least important part of an oil experience.

Just being straight with you but newborns are life sucking amoebas.(I guess some crazy people like them.) you or your wife aren’t going to know what it’s like until you’re in the chit. Maybe you will get lucky and get an easy baby but you might not. You’re going to feel like a POS if you take the whole season off. I would block some reasonable times out, get grandma to come help, and go enjoy the oil experience without the guilt or thought you need to be home. Just my .02. Congrats

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back