MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I dont get it

dgc1963

OK kinda confused here, In Pa we cant work well most of us for the last 3 weeks and we have a stay at home order for all of April due to virus and I get that
But on the 18th we can go trout fishing and in Pa its elbow to elbow for the most part on the opener for the stocked trout water and thats most of the state
and I know many that are freaked out about the virus but are going fishing

The plan is everyone will stay at least 6 feet apart. I'm positive that won't be the case for everyone but hopeful that most will try to maintain a safe spacing.

Still a lot of time between now and then for the governor to put a stop to it. With all the other issues he's dealing with I doubt its high on his priority list at the moment.

You're not wrong though, trout opener in PA is usually like Black Friday at Walmart. Complete with crowds, public urination, fist fights, and grown men acting like entitled children

Trout opener in PA is a total disaster. I have skipped the opener on multiple occasions and never lost any sleep. The streams are basically empty within a few days and it’s a enjoyable experience then.
IMO most wont abide by the 6 feet rule anyways. Once someone starts reeling them out of a hole everyone within 100 yards will bum rush in.
Governor Wolf has probably never been within eyesight of a stream to know what it is like therefore will be totally oblivious to all of. Should be a sight to see with all the anglers wearing their mandatory masks while packing the streams.

Last edited:
Yeah I was planning on headed back east to fish with my brother and work on our camp but will probably have to skip this year. I hope a lot of the little restaurants that depend on the crowds for these seasons can figure out some sort of way to generate some business.

No way people will stay away from each other, even worse this year no volunteers were aloud to help this year so most fish im sure were dumped into same holes within easy reach to stock so lots of fish in same hole means more Idiots fighting over a fish. This cant be good
Glad I fly fish and dont deal with the opening day

I think we’re going to see more closures of these types of openers and seasons. Idaho just effectively closed it’s spring seasons, North Dakota just cancelled their Paddlefish Season, no spring bear in AK.......I imagine most other agencies will follow suit in the coming days. I wish it weren’t the case.

Last edited:
Pretty similar situation here in Wisconsin when the walleyes come into spawn over in the Marinette and Depere areas.

Just got a notice from Dept. of Fish and Wildlife here in Oregon this morning saying all hunting and fishing seasons will remain open as long as people respect social distancing. I don't have much faith in people cooperating so they might shut it down.

State of Michigan shut down a popular impoundment that steelhead migrate up to. It’s a popular spot shoulder to shoulder and fisher people could not be responsible enough to separate themselves 6’. Now closed indefinitely with what I’m hearing more areas are going to fall as well. We also have a boaters public access to Lake Michigan where someone illegally pushed the dock into the water so they could launch their boat, and many others are also now launching and same launch. I guess some people need to be policed ! I hope maybe PA could be the poster child of outdoor responsibility.

I don't fish for stock trout most of the time. I got spots that only me and a fishing buddy knows about and we go alone and not in groups. I hate fishing in a crowd. My thoughts is to get away from the crowds not join them for fishing.

I know skipping the trout opener isn’t going to affect my life in the least bit but I do hope they cancel it. I personally do my best to follow the rules that are being asked of us no matter what my opinion or position is on the virus. I see far too many jackasses here in PA everyday blatantly ignoring the “avoid large group orders” and the fishing opener will only further enhance it.

I live in PA but hunt in MD. MD turkey opener is the same day as the PA trout opener this year. If I decide to fish it will be going to the mountains and trying to get away from the crowds. Maryland is allowing their hunting and fishing to continue because it is for sustenance. I think it should remain open but I don't want to be fighting against everyone and their brother over a trout.

I usually don’t fish the trout opener for the same reasons everyone else said. I’m all for them canceling the trout opener I just hope turkey season still happens.

We seem to have very little faith in our fellow anglers. I would like to think that those who may behave irresponsibly on opening day are those who are already behaving irresponsibly in other areas of their lives. The vast majority of us will continue to do the right thing. 6ft isn't that hard to achieve

Pennsylvania, has 16,000 miles of wild trout streams. An additional 5000 miles of stocked trout streams, and 125 or so stocked lakes.
I feel sorry for the guy who can't figure out how to get more than 6' from another angler.

LOL good lord I hate fishing suburban lakes and having someone cast their line no more than 3-4 feet away from me and apologizing left and right about tangling his line over mine, yet keeps on doing it. That is until I reel in and snip the line.

On one hand i think they should have opened the season weeks ago when they started the excellerated stocking. Reduce the limit to 2 and let people fish. On the other it should be pushed to May. The youth day is this weekend so it should be a sign of what will be done. Crowded streams are one problem, the other is the influx of people going to camps in the rural small towns.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back