I bought a bow

TOGIE

I just ordered a bow, release, and practice arrows.

The alpine happiness thread reminded me i need to reserve some backcountry permits for early september.

Baby Togie due oct 1st....

October is shot, likely even november too. Heck I have to be prepared for all of September, but, I currently have permission to do an early september hunt. That leaves bear hunting, bow elk hunting, bow mule deer hunting. Don't want to risk the taxidermy bill of finding a bear...

I've wanted nothing more than to hunt high country deer. Easy to get 3rd rifle tags and no bow is what always prevented me from doing that. Now i'm forced to do it and i'm stoked on it.

Call it my personal baby moon. I'm not expecting to get a deer, but boy would i love to.

So, I bought a bow.

See https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/an...arrow-and-broadhead-setup.284131/post-3363825
Then start second guessing everything you thought you knew.
Dude! 1, congrats, just remember to stop sleeping in August so you're good and "trained" up. 2, I thought you were good at math? Oct 1 is like right in the middle of perfect weather and great hunting!
October is shot, likely even november too. Heck I have to be prepared for all of September, but, I currently have permission to do an early september hunt. That leaves bear hunting, bow elk hunting,
Being home that last month is about as important as the month after. Things don't always go per plan. Bear yes, elk... maybe if it's close to home.

Bro... Nov - March DANGER ZONE...

;) Congrats buddy!
See https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/an...arrow-and-broadhead-setup.284131/post-3363825
Then start second guessing everything you thought you knew.

Dude! 1, congrats, just remember to stop sleeping in August so you're good and "trained" up. 2, I thought you were good at math? Oct 1 is like right in the middle of perfect weather and great hunting!

Being home that last month is about as important as the month after. Things don't always go per plan. Bear yes, elk... maybe if it's close to home.

Thank you both!

we really thought not actually trying, you know like, timing it, would lower the chances quite a bit. my wife particularly was also kinda scared that it could take a while to work and starting in march would start pushing us farther back than we wanted if it did take a long time.

i accepted the risks, wisely or unwisely haha.

my september deer plan is rather close to home. also planning on having a 4th season bull tag and an early december cow tag on the pocket if it looks like i can get away for a weekend later on. might even have a december/january cow tag in my pocket for wyoming.

but i'm fully mentally prepared for absolutely none of it to be able to happen... i think lol.

Congrats.

But, and it’s a J-Lo sized but, make sure you have an In-Reach when you go, especially if within 4 weeks of your launch date.

My wife grounded me the last 6 weeks of pregnancy, both times. I’m glad she did. Even hunting 8 weeks before due date she racked up a $200 Garmin bill checking in.
BTW this year is the year for the Unlimited plan on your inreach

The alpine happiness thread reminded me i need to reserve some backcountry permits for early september.

October is shot, likely even november too. Heck I have to be prepared for all of September, but, I currently have permission to do an early september hunt. That leaves bear hunting, bow elk hunting, bow mule deer hunting. Don't want to risk the taxidermy bill of finding a bear...

I've wanted nothing more than to hunt high country deer. Easy to get 3rd rifle tags and no bow is what always prevented me from doing that. Now i'm forced to do it and i'm stoked on it.

Call it my personal baby moon. I'm not expecting to get a deer, but boy would i love to.

So, I bought a bow.

Congrats on the kiddo!

Now for a short anecdote. My 2nd daughter was not due until Sept 11th. It was August 24th and I had been up in the Flat Tops guiding a 5-day fishing trip since the 19th, after which I'd assured my wife I'd stay around home until the baby came. On the way home through South Park I took an unauthorized side trip to throw streamers for trout and pike for a couple hours, fishing was great! There was no cell service from there to a point 30 minutes from where we lived at the time so I hadn't spoken to my wife yet. When I got cell service again I got a frantic text from her asking where I was because she was in labor. I literally got home, parked, got my wife into her car, and headed to the hospital. Bryn came within 2 hours. I hadn't showered in 5 days, I smelled like horses, campfire smoke, and dirt. To this day my wife does not know I nearly missed our daughter's birth because I was fishing, there are some things better left unsaid.

Good luck with your early Sept elk hunt though! ;)

Congrats on the kiddo!

Now for a short anecdote. My 2nd daughter was not due until Sept 11th. It was August 24th and I had been up in the Flat Tops guiding a 5-day fishing trip since the 19th, after which I'd assured my wife I'd stay around home until the baby came. On the way home through South Park I took an unauthorized side trip to throw streamers for trout and pike for a couple hours, fishing was great! There was no cell service from there to a point 30 minutes from where we lived at the time so I hadn't spoken to my wife yet. When I got cell service again I got a frantic text from her asking where I was because she was in labor. I literally got home, parked, got my wife into her car, and headed to the hospital. Bryn came within 2 hours. I hadn't showered in 5 days, I smelled like horses, campfire smoke, and dirt. To this day my wife does not know I nearly missed our daughter's birth because I was fishing, there are some things better left unsaid.

Good luck with your early Sept elk hunt though! ;)

these days those 2 hours will get burned just sitting in traffic between antero junction and fairplay haha

i'm trying to prepare myself for rescinded permission to bow hunt for deer in early september. at which point i'll just go flail around like an idiot in august with an otc archery pronghorn tag.

Grats on the bow, and on the little one coming. I did good with a May and then June baby…then had a <insert forced smile here> wonderful October 14 baby when of course id been drawn.

Side note- wouldn’t trade her for the world 😊

Married September 18th, oldest born September 20th. They know where Dad is celebrating these events!!🏹🤣🤣

these days those 2 hours will get burned just sitting in traffic between antero junction and fairplay haha

i'm trying to prepare myself for rescinded permission to bow hunt for deer in early september. at which point i'll just go flail around like an idiot in august with an otc archery pronghorn tag.

I lived in Pueblo at the time, it was always clear sailing on Hwy 9 from Fairplay to Canon City. I took that for granted, and I miss it so, so much...

Congrats! I was going to mention the Antelope OTC option. Because this 👇👇👇

I lived in Pueblo at the time, it was always clear sailing on Hwy 9 from Fairplay to Canon City. I took that for granted, and I miss it so, so much...

Even at my young age there is so much I took for granted. Littleton to Keystone in like an 1.25 hours?

Doesn’t even sound real

Congrats! I was going to mention the Antelope OTC option. Because this 👇👇👇

I’ve really got some areas in mind that I might actually see antelope in the otc units, but even if that we’re the case fat chance I can shoot one.

I think I might try regardless 😃

Grats on the bow, and on the little one coming. I did good with a May and then June baby…then had a <insert forced smile here> wonderful October 14 baby when of course id been drawn.

Side note- wouldn’t trade her for the world 😊

My wife was even on board with my desire to avoid fall babies. I guess I have to blame this on myself.

But how upset can I be. Couldn’t be more thankful already!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back