Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Anybody use the Grizzlystik 650g arrow and broadhead setup?

dwightinwashigton

Has anybody here gone and tried the Grizzlystik 650 setup for elk. What did u think of it? I'm thinking of getting the 650 grain arrow test pack. Grizzlystik will refund the price of the test pack from a dozen arrows if u buy in thirty days. The Grizzlystik website is impressive. Alot of elk pics. I'm wondering what everyone thinks of Dr Ashbys work with 19 percent FOC and single bevel broadheads 650 grains total weight? I called and talked to them and they say i wont notice a difference to thirty yards. I've only shot one bull elk (5x5) in my life. Single lung shot at 32 yards, ran sixty or so yards into other hunters to be shot again and tagged by them, same thing happened to a friend who shot a cow last year. Looked like a good shot. Waited an hour after he shot to track the blood trail only to go two hundred yards to hunters who shot it again and tagged it. Cant handle the lows of losing an animal again. If i was rifle hunting i would go get a 338 mag or something to drop a bull in its tracks. Whats the equivalent in archery. I shoot a Diamond Deploy Sb 70 lb bow, 28.5 draw, Spot hogg fast eddie jr sight, crossover telescoping stabilizer with back bar, tightspot quiver, winners choice string. I was shooting a Easton 5mm FMJ arrow with a 125 grain montec g-5 broadhead,11 percent FOC, total weight 496 grains. HELP PLEASE What arrow/broadhead combo would u recommend I shoot this year for elk. Thank u for your time.

Check out Kifarucast Aron jumps down the giant rabbit hole of arrow weight and FOC their are 6 episodes all great info.

I just got my set up delivered… six 240 spine momentum tdt arrows with standard in/outserts… arrows don’t spin worth a darn. Wobbly. Wobbles are mostly on the tail end and I had hoped trimming them to size would help, but it did not. Also the wall thickness of the arrow varies around the circumference. Looking at the arrow from an end perspective, wall thickness variation is evident. The eye caught this within 5 seconds of holding the new arrows. Also can notice this makes the nock off center. This will cause me troubles on the insert install and broadhead tuning. how does one compensate for this? After trimming arrows to size and matching the heavy arrows with the light in/outserts, I still have a weight diff of 1.5 grains. I suppose I will sand weight off of an insert internal weight. I was under the impression that $20/arrow provides more quality… I hope the other six I have coming in 320 spine are less depressing. Also, the in/outserts that came with the arrows had three with a dented outsert. Wobbly arrows with dented in/outserts is not a good start for a 40 yard shot on that elk I’ve been waiting 11 months to kill.

Attachments

• C498680A-0072-4EFA-A2F0-3AEE649E4420.jpeg
    C498680A-0072-4EFA-A2F0-3AEE649E4420.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 5DCB0575-8305-4A04-9C51-CD974DA8E3EB.jpeg
    5DCB0575-8305-4A04-9C51-CD974DA8E3EB.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 15
  • E369584C-0EED-4F6D-B259-FD6BF48A8049.jpeg
    E369584C-0EED-4F6D-B259-FD6BF48A8049.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 16
I'm doing what I mock others for doing, bring back a long dead thread, not so much for it's quality, but because I was going to use that exact title.

After the meateater episode with Dr Ashby I've taken a deeper dive into my arrow setup, as I've had lots of issues with poor penetration and lethality.

I'm currently trying to work up an arrow design for ~650 gr 20% FOC.
-Easton 5mm axis pro arrow shafts (260 spine)
-AAE hybrid vanes on a 3deg helical
-standard nock
-50 gr brass insert
-25 gr impact collar (https://ironwilloutfitters.com/products/footers?variant=40006605242546)
-200 gr Grizzlystik Maasi https://www.grizzlystik.com/maasai-overkill-200-broadhead-3-pack

I honestly don't know jack about archery, at least that's my current self assessment. I've been archery hunting for a bit over a decade, had a bunch of early success (one shot kills) but have really struggled to kill things the last few years, to the point I haven't archery hunted in two years.

I'm looking for info, thoughts, ideas, resources, and current setups.

Last edited:
gold tip hunters (300)
stock fletching and nocks
100 gr montec

comes in at 439 gr and 11% FOC

I would take those arrows and either add a heavier insert and keep the same head or bump up to a higher quality head in the 150 gr range. There’s no need for a 650 grain arrow in my opinion. Are your broadheads shaving sharp when you hunt with them?

don't overthink it, the extreme FOC argument with 650 grain total weight is a bit too much IMO, just the latest craze... Ashby has the experience with it and success to back it up, but for the average guy to get an arrow like that to fly straight will be a task.

don't overthink it
I worry about that. But what about under thinking it? At what point due the results warrant additional analysis.

If I'd have seen my own post 7 years ago, I would have offered a very similar response to yours, but with a now larger body of evidence I can't ignore that what I have isn't working well enough for me.

I shoot a 65 lb bow hoty nitum turbo close to 500 gr arrow a bit under 300 fps cant remember exactly and solid broadheads almost always punches 2 holes through everything deer ,bear, elk I read about Dr Ashby and he was figured out on african game so I dont discount it but my set up works good for me

my understanding of fair game is that the first that draws blood is the one to claim the spoils

Edit - sorry didn't see this was a @neffa3 bump. What penetration issues have you seen? Is your arrow flight good IE nock follows the tip?

Has anybody here gone and tried the Grizzlystik 650 setup for elk. What did u think of it? I'm thinking of getting the 650 grain arrow test pack. Grizzlystik will refund the price of the test pack from a dozen arrows if u buy in thirty days. The Grizzlystik website is impressive. Alot of elk pics. I'm wondering what everyone thinks of Dr Ashbys work with 19 percent FOC and single bevel broadheads 650 grains total weight? I called and talked to them and they say i wont notice a difference to thirty yards. I've only shot one bull elk (5x5) in my life. Single lung shot at 32 yards, ran sixty or so yards into other hunters to be shot again and tagged by them, same thing happened to a friend who shot a cow last year. Looked like a good shot. Waited an hour after he shot to track the blood trail only to go two hundred yards to hunters who shot it again and tagged it. Cant handle the lows of losing an animal again. If i was rifle hunting i would go get a 338 mag or something to drop a bull in its tracks. Whats the equivalent in archery. I shoot a Diamond Deploy Sb 70 lb bow, 28.5 draw, Spot hogg fast eddie jr sight, crossover telescoping stabilizer with back bar, tightspot quiver, winners choice string. I was shooting a Easton 5mm FMJ arrow with a 125 grain montec g-5 broadhead,11 percent FOC, total weight 496 grains. HELP PLEASE What arrow/broadhead combo would u recommend I shoot this year for elk. Thank u for your time.

Seems like you're blaming equipment for something that isn't an equipment issue.

Shooting an elk through the lungs with a 338 WM isnt going to drop it in it's tracks either most of the time. Shooting an arrow with a rainbow trajectory isn't going to result in better placed arrows and it damn sure isn't going keep an elk from going 60 yards after being shot.

Edit - sorry didn't see this was a @neffa3 bump. What penetration issues have you seen? Is your arrow flight good IE nock follows the tip?
hit shoulder, almost zero penetration, bull likely lived with a limp. Plus I've not had pass throughs on two, so I can't say what the penetration was, as I never recovered the arrow or the critters. But nothing about what I remember of the shot seemed like it should have lead to anything but a dead elk.

Flights have never been perfect. I've tried several bows, releases, arrows. All consistently in that same "traditional" design of 400-450 gr 10-15% FOC. I think there is more than simply a new broadhead and heavier arrow to be fixed including re tuning, but I know I am looking to achieve better terminal results even when I make a mistake.

As I said previously, I had zero issues with my setup, until I did.

I'm doing what I mock others for doing, bring back a long dead thread, not so much for it's quality, but because I was going to use that exact title.

After the meateater episode with Dr Ashby I've taken a deeper dive into my arrow setup, as I've had lots of issues with poor penetration and lethality.

I'm currently trying to work up an arrow design for ~650 gr 20% FOC.
-Easton 5mm axis pro arrow shafts (260 spine)
-AAE hybrid vanes on a 3deg helical
-standard nock
-50 gr brass insert
-25 gr impact collar (https://ironwilloutfitters.com/products/footers?variant=40006605242546)
-200 gr Grizzlystik Maasi https://www.grizzlystik.com/maasai-overkill-200-broadhead-3-pack

I honestly don't know jack about archery, at least that's my current self assessment. I've been archery hunting for a bit over a decade, had a bunch of early success (one shot kills) but have really struggled to kill things the last few years, to the point I haven't archery hunted in two years.

I'm looking for info, thoughts, ideas, resources, and current setups.
I’ve been toying with the idea of going to a really similar arrow setup and maybe upgrading my bow in the process. I’ve seen a lot of elk wounded with arrows, which is probably why I always pass up shots in September and kill my elk with a rifle.

gold tip hunters (300)
stock fletching and nocks
100 gr montec

comes in at 439 gr and 11% FOC
If you're seeking to improve penetration, my suggestion would be to keep the same arrow and swap the 100 gr Montec for a high quality 150 gr two-blade fixed head (Iron Will and Cutthroat would be my top choices).

There's nothing magical about 650 gr, and an arrow that heavy sacrifices too much trajectory IMO. For a 60-70# compound shooter with average draw length, total arrow weight around 500 gr offers a good balance of trajectory and penetration.

Whatever arrow/head you choose, get the bow tuned to shoot broadheads and field points to the same spot.

If you're seeking to improve penetration, my suggestion would be to keep the same arrow and swap the 100 gr Montec for a high quality 150 gr two-blade fixed head (Iron Will and Cutthroat would be my top choices).

There's nothing magical about 650 gr, and an arrow that heavy sacrifices too much trajectory IMO. For a 60-70# compound shooter with average draw length, total arrow weight around 500 gr offers a good balance of trajectory and penetration.

Whatever arrow/head you choose, get the bow tuned to shoot broadheads and field points to the same spot.
What do you know about cutthroats?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back